Learn how to make the best creamy dipping sauce for sweet potato fries using healthy, everyday ingredients! This is a savory, garlic dipping sauce made with Greek yogurt, fresh garlic, a touch of white wine vinegar, and some sea salt. It’s simple, delicious, and takes just minutes to make.
This creamy dipping sauce for sweet potato fries is smooth, creamy, flavorful, and made healthier (and lighter!) with a boost of protein from the Greek yogurt. Similar to Tzatziki but easier to make, this garlic dip is the perfect partner for baked sweet potato fries and roasted sweet potato wedges.
The ingredient list needed to make this dipping sauce for sweet potato fries (and so much more) is short and sweet. In fact, you probably have almost everything in your kitchen already!
- Garlic: Use 1 large clove of crushed garlic to add deep, complex flavor to the sauce. If you’d like an even stronger garlic flavor, add 1/4 tsp garlic powder (but that’s optional).
- Greek yogurt: Instead of using mayonnaise or sour cream, we’re using Greek yogurt for this fry dip. Not only does it add a pop of protein but it keeps things a bit lighter as well. Feel free to use non-fat, low-fat, or full-fat yogurt -they will all work!
- White wine vinegar: Adds a little tang (and thins out the sauce) giving it the taste and texture of mayo.
- Parsley: Fresh herbs always add a pop of flavor, freshness, and color. In a pinch, you can swap dried parsley. Simply swap 1 teaspoon of dried parsley for 1 tablespoon of fresh (1:3 ratio!).
How to Make Dipping Sauce for Sweet Potato Fries
Follow these simple steps to have a delicious fry dip in less than 5 minutes – no cooking required!
- Stir together ingredients: Combine the garlic, garlic powder (optional), yogurt, vinegar, parsley, and salt in a small bowl.
- Serve: Plate up alongside baked sweet potato fries (or wedges!) and enjoy.
Tips and Variations
- Greek yogurt variety: We typically use low-fat Greek yogurt, however non-fat or full-fat will work great as well. The more fat in the Greek yogurt, the richer the dip will be.
- Use dried herbs: Feel free to sub the fresh parsley with one teaspoon of dried parsley. You could also give this a dill flavor by using the same amount of fresh or dried dill.
- Taste test: After mixing all of the ingredients together, give it a taste and adjust as needed. You may want to add more garlic powder or sea salt.
- Make ahead: The flavors will intensify over time, so if you’re able, make this in advance and store it in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve, just give it a good stir. If you’d rather enjoy it at room temperature, let it sit out for about 20 minutes before you plan to use it.
What is a good dipping sauce for sweet potato fries?
I like to enjoy sweet potato fries (and wedges!) with a dipping sauce that is creamy and savory. The savory garlic flavor of this dipping sauce perfectly balances the sweetness of the fries. Of course, ketchup is always a popular option and I also like ranch dressing too! If you prefer a sweeter sauce, try this honey mustard.
Ways to serve
There are a variety of different ways to serve this garlic dipping sauce, and they all happen to be super tasty and addicting! Here are some delicious options other than pairing it with sweet potato fries, wedges, or French fries:
Storing leftover garlic dipping sauce couldn’t be easier. Transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator to enjoy for up to 5 days. Give it a quick stir before you use it again.
Creamy Dipping Sauce for Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, *optional (if you like a strong garlic flavor!)
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine the garlic, garlic powder (optional), yogurt, vinegar, parsley, and salt in a small bowl.
- Plate up alongside baked sweet potato fries (or wedges!) and enjoy.