I think I’ve mentioned it before but that won’t stop me from saying it again, I love fries. Love em’!
What’s not to love? Seriously, you tell me because I can’t think of one thing.
I also love sweet potatoes (what can I say, I just love food) so needless to say, these fries really do it for me; they’re the best of both worlds.
This recipe could not be any easier… basically all you have to do is cut your sweet potato into strips, season them and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes. I love how the heat from the cumin partners with the sweetness of potatoes… SO GOOD! If you like to dip your sweet potato fries, you have to make creamy dipping sauce for sweet potato fries. It’s the perfect partner.
I must warn you though, although these fries are delicious, they don’t get very crispy or crunchy. They’re firm, but not super crispy.
I am playing with a few ideas to see if I can come up with a way to make them crunchier. I tried dipping them in egg first, but then they tasted like mini potato omletes. The egg flavor was too strong. I’m gonna try egg whites next… I think that may do the job.
(I can’t lie, taste testing sweet potato fries is a pretty fun job, so I don’t mind experimenting one bit;)).
Do you guys have any secrets behind crispy sweet potato fries?? If so, I’d love to hear about them… maybe together we can come up with the world’s most delicious baked sweet potato fries!!
UPDATE: My conclusion – I prefer the wired rack over dipping my fries in egg whites. It’s quick and simple and while still not super crispy, they are the perfect clean and delish weeknight fry!
- *Sometimes I pop these under the broiler right at the end just to get them a little extra brown but you could easily skip this step and still have yummy fries!
- 1 sweet potato1 tsp of olive oil OR cooking spray1 teaspoon of ground cuminSalt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut the sweet potato into “fry-like” strips and pop them into a large bowl.
- Drizzle with one teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil OR spray them with some cooking spray. You just need enough to lightly coat the “fries”.
- Season with salt and cumin (in the video I use salt and pepper) and then lay them out on your wired baking sheet (demonstrated in the video).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until browned. Enjoy!
- Serves 1. (okay maybe two, but not if you like fries as much as I do)