This raw zucchini salad with tomatoes and feta cheese is the perfect way to get fresh, seasonal ingredients onto your plate. I love finishing this salad with fresh basil and lemon zest, to create flavors that explode in your mouth.
If you have a garden and you live in the garden state (aka New Jersey) there’s a good chance you have an abundance of tomatoes and zucchini getting ready to flood your kitchen.
Working with fresh, seasonal ingredients is one of the best ways to create dishes that are both insanely delicious and super nutritious.
And remember, what grows together, goes together. So any ingredients that grow in the same season, will absolutely taste great together. That’s just the way mother nature designed it.
Is It Safe To Eat Raw Zucchini?
If you love raw zucchini, I have great news for you! It’s 100% safe to eat zucchini raw. Not only is it safe, it’s also really good for you.
Raw zucchini makes a great snack. Sometimes, I’ll slice my zucchini into rounds and then serve them alongside hummus or guacamole in place of crackers or chips.
Because zucchinis hold a lot of water, they make a super refreshing snack and also taste great in raw salads, just like this one.
A Few Tips for Working with Raw Zucchini
- Trim off the ends. The ends can be tough and bitter, so be sure to cut them off.
- Buy in season. You want your zucchini to be young, fresh and tender and the best way to ensure this is to buy in season.
- Cut it thin. Cut the squash as thin as you possibly can. You can easily do this with a good sharp knife. Keeping them thin will ensure that the zucchini soaks up all the flavors.
- Keep them at room temperature. You will get the most flavor from your zucchini when they are at room temperature (this is true of most summer produce). When you eat fresh, delicate flavors cold from the fridge you lose a lot of their flavor.
How To Make Zucchini and Tomato Salad
Making this zucchini and tomato salad is about as easy as it gets. Just be sure to use a nice sharp knife to cut your veggies. This will make your life a whole lot easier!
- Start by slicing the zucchini super thin. If you have a manoline, you can use it. But I prefer a sharp knife.
- Cut tomatoes in half. You can also do quarters if they are a bit larger.
- Add sliced zucchini and tomatoes into a large bowl.
- Season with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, feta cheese, salt and pepper. Gently mix together.
- Finish with lemon zest, fresh basil and an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Simple Clean & Delicious Salad Ideas
- Arugula + Beet Salad
- Artichoke, Asparagus + Green Bean Salad
- Caesar Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
- Black Bean, Corn + Avocado Salad
Zucchini Salad with Feta and Tomatoes
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:0 minutes
Total Time:20 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- zest of one lemon
- juice from one lemon (3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (extra for drizzling)
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 basil leaves, rolled and sliced
- Use a sharp knife to slice the zucchini super thin. If you have a manoline, you can use that.
- Add sliced zucchini to a large bowl and toss in sliced tomatoes, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, feta cheese, salt and pepper. Gently mix together.
- Finish with lemon zest, fresh basil and an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve and enjoy!
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe): Calories 114 | Total Fat 8.6g | Saturated Fat 1.6g | Cholesterol 2mg | Sodium 221mg | Carbohydrate 9.3g | Dietary Fiber 2.3g | Sugars 5.7g | Protein 2.9g