Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Greek yogurt is an easy, healthy, low-fat, 5-minute recipe! Made with a combination of low-fat buttermilk, mayo, low-fat Greek yogurt, diced onion, garlic, and fresh herbs. This delicious dip can be made right in a bowl or mason jar (no food processor or blender needed!) and is delightful when drizzled over your favorite salads or grain bowls, or used as a dip for veggies!
I love making creamy salad dressings like this buttermilk ranch (and this classic blue cheese dressing) with Greek yogurt! It’s an easy way to lighten up your salad dressings while adding an extra boost of protein! Plus homemade salad dressings always taste better than store-bought and this one takes just 5 minutes to make!
This easy dressing recipe includes simple, fresh, everyday ingredients that you may already have on hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Buttermilk is one of the main ingredients when making buttermilk ranch! I like to use low-fat buttermilk to lighten up the recipe a bit! If you prefer, full fat would work as well.
- Greek Yogurt is a great way to add a rich, creamy texture to he dressing without adding excess fat (not that I have anything against fat, but I’m always looking for balance!). I use low-fat Greek yogurt but non-fat or full-fat would work as well. Simply choose the option that best aligns with your dietary needs and personal goals.
- Mayonnaise adds a bit of creamy tang! You could skip it and use all Greek yogurt, but personally, I love the flavor that a little real mayo adds.
- Onion adds a little bit of texture and great flavor. In a pinch, you can sub in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Fresh garlic adds a zip that really helps this dressing pop with flavor.
- Fresh herbs are the secret to elevating any recipe and are essential to this buttermilk ranch! I highly recommend you use fresh herbs but again, dried herbs can work in a pinch.
- Lemon juice adds little acidity to salad dressing. Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar would work as well.
- Salt & pepper brings out all of the delicious flavors.
- Cayenne pepper is optional, but I just love the subtle kick of heat a small pinch adds.
How to make homemade healthy ranch
Just follow a few simple steps to make this buttermilk ranch dressing recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full, printable recipe.
- Combine ingredients. I like to mix the ingredients together in my food processor because I don’t have to worry about chopping the onion, garlic, and herbs. Simply, add all of the ingredients into your food processor or blender and blend until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Alternatively, you can chop everything up and then stir the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Taste. Taste and add any additional ingredients, like more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Enjoy! How easy was that?! The flavors will develop the longer it sits. Toss with salad greens or serve as a sauce over a grain bowl or as a dip with veggies. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
STORAGE TIPS: This easy buttermilk dressing recipe will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Simply give it a stir (or a shake) before using it. Do not leave the dressing out longer than 2 hours at room temperature. It contains dairy products that are perishable and can spoil quickly.
The options are endless for ways to use this tasty salad dressing and go way beyond salad! Of course, try it on any of your favorite fresh salad recipes, veggie-packed grain bowls, or even use it as a dip! Here are some ways I’ve been enjoying this recipe:
- Drizzled over a sheet pan of vegetables.
- Used as a dressing for simple kale or romaine salad, but also to make pasta salads.
- Added to sandwiches, wraps, and burgers.
If you make this 5-Minute Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Greek Yogurt, let me know how it turned out! Please share your ★ rating and your feedback in the comments below. Thank you! 😍
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing with Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix until well incorporated. Alternatively, ingredients can be combined with the use of a food processor or blender. Makes 1 cup.