Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is a flavorful blend of low-fat buttermilk, mayo, Greek yogurt, onion, garlic and fresh herbs. This homemade recipe tastes way better than store-bought and comes together in just 10 minutes! It’s delicious drizzled over your favorite salads or grain bowls, or used as a dip for veggies!
If there was ever a dressing that was my favorite in the entire world, this creamy buttermilk ranch dressing is probably the one. It’s pretty much magic in a bottle!
We LOVE it drizzled over salads, grain bowls, roasted vegetables, or as a dip for raw veggies or sweet potato fries (such an easy way to get your kids to eat their veggies!).
Not only is it incredibly delicious, but it also could not be easier to make at home. There’s simply no need for store-bought salad dressings when you have one as easy and delicious as this! In my opinion, homemade dressings are the way to go because they always taste so much fresher, plus you get complete control over all of your ingredients. Let’s get to all of the details!
This easy dressing recipe includes simple, fresh ingredients and is packed with delicious flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Buttermilk, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt – These three ingredients provide the creamy texture of this dressing. For a low-calorie version, use nonfat Greek yogurt and low-fat buttermilk.
- Onion & garlic – For that classic ranch dressing taste.
- Fresh herbs – Chopped parsley and dill add fresh flavor to the dressing.
- Lemon juice – Always need to add a little acidity to salad dressing. Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar would work in this, too.
- Salt & pepper – To bring out all of the delicious flavors.
- Cayenne pepper – Optional, but I just love the subtle kick of heat a small pinch adds.
How to make dressing at home
Just follow a few simple steps to make this buttermilk ranch dressing recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full, printable recipe.
- Combine ingredients. I like to mix the ingredients together in my food processor because I don’t have to worry about chopping the onion, garlic and herbs. Simply, add all of the ingredients into your food processor or blender and blend until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Alternatively, you can chop everything up and then stir the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Taste. Taste and add any additional ingredients, like more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Enjoy! How easy was that?! The flavors will develop the longer it sits. Toss with salad greens or serve as a sauce over a grain bowl or as a dip with veggies. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Tips for recipe success
- For the creamiest results, I recommend using full-fat mayonnaise and Greek yogurt. The light versions just won’t be quite as creamy. Level up your mayo and choose a brand that uses avocado oil instead of low-quality seed and vegetable oils.
- No fresh herbs on hand? Fresh is best, in my opinion, but dried herbs will totally work. Use 1 teaspoon of the amount of dried parsley and dill, as dried herbs are more potent.
- It’s best to chill the dressing for at least 30 minutes before you serve it. This will give the flavors time to meld together.
- Serving a crowd? This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
The options are endless for ways to use this tasty salad dressing and go way beyond salad! Of course, try it on any of your favorite fresh salad recipes, veggie-packed grain bowls, or even use it as a dip! Here are some ways I’ve been enjoying this recipe:
- Drizzled over a sheet pan of vegetables.
- Used as a dressing for simple kale or romaine salad, but also to make pasta salads.
- Added to sandwiches, wraps and burgers.
This easy buttermilk dressing recipe will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for around 4 days and up to 1 week. Simply give it a stir (or a shake) before using it.
Do not leave the dressing out longer than 2 hours at room temperature. It contains dairy products that are perishable and can spoil quickly.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix until well incorporated. Alternatively, ingredients can be combined with the use of a food processor or blender. Makes 1 cup.