Mediterranean chickpea salad is a light, bright, and beautiful salad that is easy to make. Chickpeas are combined with cucumbers, bell pepper, red onion, olives, avocado, feta, and fresh herbs for a salad that is hearty enough for a lovely lunch and also perfect for a dinner side dish.
Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are a pantry staple in my kitchen. They are a delicious source of plant-based protein and are super versatile. I love to use them in my creamy homemade hummus, as a crunchy topper in place of croutons on a caesar salad, and even in dessert recipes, like these chickpea blondies.
Chickpeas are also a fantastic base for easy, healthy salad recipes like my classic chickpea salad, vegan tuna salad, and of course, this Mediterranean chickpea salad. This recipe is great for a bbq, picnic, or cookout and also works really well for meal prep – so I’m super excited for you to give it a try.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
I grew up eating chickpea salad – it’s one of the very first recipes I learned to make because it’s just that easy. Here’s all you need:
- Chickpeas: I’m a big fan of canned chickpeas. They’re easy and convenient and all you have to do is rinse and drain them before using them. If preferred, you can of course soak dried chickpeas as well.
- Vegetables: As a health + weight loss coach, I am always encouraging my clients (and myself) to eat more veggies. This salad is an easy way to do just that. Cucumbers, red onions, bell peppers, and avocado create bright, beautiful refreshing flavors.
- Cheese: I’m using feta cheese. Be sure to buy your feta cheese in a block form when you can. The flavor and texture are superior to pre-crumbled feta cheese because there is no need for stabilizers or anti-caking agents.
- Herbs: Fresh mint and basil really elevate the flavors in this Mediterranean salad. If you don’t have fresh herbs, add a tablespoon of dried oregano instead.
- Dressing: I’m keeping it classic with a simple Greek salad dressing.
Find the complete step-by-step recipe below.
How To Make My Chickpea Salad
The real benefit of this pantry-style salad is how quickly it comes together. Simply make your salad dressing, chop up the vegetables (see video below for my favorite cutting techniques), drain and rinse the chickpeas, and toss it all together. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!
How To Serve Chickpea Salad
There are so many ways to enjoy this delightful salad! I’ll share some of my ideas and would love to hear some of your ideas in the comments below!
- As-is. That’s right. Enjoy this salad right out of the bowl. It’s certainly satisfying enough just the way it is.
- Over greens. I love serving this over a big green salad. Arugula with lemon and extra virgin olive oil makes a lovely base and offers yet another way to enjoy more veggies in your day.
- Side dish. Enjoy this salad alongside some grilled chicken or crispy cast-iron salmon. But don’t stop there! Chickpea salad is delicious alongside pretty much any type of grilled meat or fish.
- With eggs. Looking for a savory breakfast idea? Top your salad with a couple of over-easy eggs for a protein-rich meal with a Mediterranean flair.
Meal Prep and Storage Tips
This is a fantastic salad to add to your weekend meal prep. It will happily last in the fridge for up to five days when stored in an airtight container. I really love these round glass storage containers for storing salads like this. I use them on a weekly basis.
More Easy and Healthy Salad Recipes
I love having a handful of easy salad recipes that I can count on during the warmer months! Here are a few I would recommend:
- Easy Greek Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
Looking for even more ideas to add to your summer salad arsenal? Check out my Easy + Yummy Salad Recipe e-book which contains 15 of my personal favorite salad recipes.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. If you enjoyed it, please leave a star rating and share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2-15 ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 English cucumber, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cups yellow and orange bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs, (I used mint and basil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small spouted cup or mason jar, combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas before placing into a large bowl. Add on the cucumber, red onion, bell peppers, kalamata olives, feta cheese, avocado, mint and basil. Set aside.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss until all the beans and veggies are coated in the seasoning. Adjust seasonings and enjoy!
- Avocado – choose an avocado that is just ripe and not too soft. If not eating this salad right away, leave out the avocado and add it in right before serving.
- Meal prep – store this salad in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to five days.
- Fresh herbs – if you don’t want to be bothered with chopping fresh herbs, sub in one tablespoon of dried herbs (oregano, basil, and mint would all work well).