This rotisserie chicken salad is a blend of shredded or chopped chicken and fresh veggies, all tossed together in a creamy dressing. A quick and easy meal that’s delicious served in a sandwich, with a side of crackers, or in crisp and crunchy lettuce cups.
I’m always looking for new options to spice up our everyday lunch options. Some of my favorites include easy quesadillas, classic tuna salad and this super flavorful rotisserie chicken salad.
You can never go wrong with chicken salad – it’s flavorful, takes minutes to put together, and is a great way to use up leftovers. You can certainly buy a rotisserie chicken to make this salad, but using any leftover chicken you have on hand is also a great way to make this salad recipe.
This rotisserie chicken salad is simple, delicious, and is always a big hit. I love adding lots of chopped vegetables for added crunch, but feel free to add any of your favorite chicken salad mix-ins. Hope you enjoy this one as much as my family does!
This chicken salad recipe is made with fresh, minimal ingredients and is packed with protein, thanks to the chicken and Greek yogurt. Feel free to mix and match ingredients as you like, but personally, I really love the recipe as written. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this healthy salad recipe:
- Chicken – You’ll need some cooked, diced or shredded chicken breast. To keep things really simple use rotisserie chicken or make my go-to baked chicken breasts.
- Celery – Gives the salad a delicious crunch!
- Red onion – For a pop of beautiful color and mild, sweet onion flavor.
- Spinach – Adds extra nutrients and fresh flavor to the salad.
- Mayonnaise – We’re adding mayo along with the Greek yogurt to give the chicken salad that classic creaminess.
- Greek yogurt – Along with the mayonnaise, plain greek yogurt acts as the base in this recipe. And adds protein!
- Salt + pepper – To bring out all of the flavors.
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Like most chicken salad recipes, chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken is very easy to whip up!
For full, printable instructions, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Prep the ingredients. Gather all of the ingredients and start by shredding the chicken and dicing and chopping the veggies.
- Stir salad ingredients. Add all ingredients along with the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt and salt & pepper to a large bowl, and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy! Now, you’ve got yourself a nutritious, delicious lunch! I told you this chicken salad recipe was easy! And it’s full of flavor, quick to make and super filling with all that protein!
Chicken Salad Variations
This salad is fabulous as-is, but you can easily swap out the ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Fruit. If you love fruit in your chicken salad, feel free to add about 1 cup halved grapes or chopped apple or 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries.
- Nuts. Feel free to add 1/2 cup chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts for a delicious nutty crunch.
- Low-fat chicken salad. Replace some or all of the mayo with additional Greek yogurt.
- Dairy-free option. Skip the yogurt and use all mayo.
- BBQ chicken salad. Make BBQ chicken salad by adding 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce in place of some of the mayonnaise.
- Seasoning. Add spices to this recipe to add different flavors like garlic, paprika, curry powder, or even mustard. Try chipotle seasoning and lime juice or a dash of cayenne pepper with pickled jalapeños for a spicy version.
There are so many different ways to serve chicken salad, and they all happen to be super delicious!
- Bread. Serve your salad on toasted wheat bread with lettuce and tomato.
- Pita. Stuff your salad into half of a pita. Add lettuce and tomato, if you’d like.
- Crackers. Scoop up the salad with crackers.
- Lettuce cups. Spoon the salad into romaine or butter lettuce leaves.
- Tomato. Stuff the salad into a hollowed out tomato.
- Wrap. Spread a tortilla with chicken salad and any other add-ins you like and roll up tightly.
- Avocado. Stuff the chicken salad into avocado halves.
- Cucumber slices. Spoon the salad onto large cucumber slices.
How to Store Chicken Salad
Rotisserie chicken salad is a great make-ahead lunch because it will keep in the fridge for a few days. Because it’s made with chicken, yogurt and mayonnaise, be careful to not leave it out on the counter for too long.
Once you’ve made your chicken salad meal, place the salad back in the fridge in an airtight container to keep it as fresh as possible. When you’re ready to use it again, be sure to give it a good stir to combine all of the ingredients again.
More Healthy Salads
Looking for more easy, healthy salad recipes to whip up? Try these other favorites!
- Tuna Salad
- Simple Kale Salad
- Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Salmon Salad
If you make this chicken salad recipe, be sure to leave a comment and ★ rating below letting me know how it turned out. Your feedback is so helpful for me and our Clean & Delicious community (thank you!).
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken chopped (skin and bones removed)
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup baby spinach finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a big bowl and stir until everything is well combined. Enjoy!
John King says
This looks wonderful! I’m a griller, I have the Weber Kettle charcoal grill and I recently added their rotisserie ring and I like to do two chickens at once and then shred the meat and portion out for the freezer. Always looking for new ways to use the meat. Will certainly be trying this on the next round! We also started making our own stock with the carcasses. Great way to save money and know exactly what’s in your food! We are so happy to have stumbled across your blog, we’ve practically been binge-watching your videos!
Thanks so much John! A friend of mine has the rotisserie ring on their grill and it’s so great! I may need to look into getting one for myself. 🙂
Kat Barr says
HI Dani – Love your recipes! Just started following and checking out your fantastic ideas. I have a question on the recipe noted above – It states 1/4 Cup Tablespoons Mayonnaise – is it just 1/4 C ?
Also I am wondering if you have made with a greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise? I often hear about this in recipes and have not tried to do that yet. I am wondering what the ratio would be and if you add anything else to make up the difference?
Hi Kat! Yes, it’s just 1/4 cup. And you can definitely sub in yogurt in place of the mayo. A great starting place is to do 50/50 – half mayo and half yogurt.
How many servings does this make? In other words, what is the serving size on which the nutrition information is based?
Love this simple delicious recipe , Dani . My new go to .
Yummy recipe and easy. Just purchased black currant seeds (fiber & omega 3 fatty acids) and looking for ways to use it in foods. It was a great topping for this chicken salad (after plated).
Rebecca Laughlin says
I love this chicken salad recipe, but also, where can I get those delicious looking crackers to go with it?!!!
I’m so glad you like this recipe, Rebecca! As for the crackers – they are Mary’s crackers (available at most grocery stores).
This is so much better tasting than the store bought kind! My boyfriend and I loved it. Perfect for lunch.
Janet Hemmig says
This is so delicious and easy to make!!! I swapped green onions for the red onion (red onions don’t agree with me as much at age 60 ). I added fresh tarragon and served it in an avocado. This will definitely be in our meal rotation this summer!!! Thank you so much Dani! I’m so glad I found you on Instagram!!!