This recipe for perfectly baked bone-in chicken breast is a simple way to prepare chicken for meal prep, chicken salads, chicken soup, and more. Chicken is baked until tender, juicy and golden brown. A super-easy way to cook bone-in chicken breasts with delicious results every time!
Chicken breasts are so versatile to cook with – they’re lean, inexpensive, and pair well with so many different flavors. One of the easiest ways to prepare this cut of meat is by making baked chicken breast. With just 5 minutes of prep time required, it’s quick and delicious!
Bone-in chicken breast is super simple to make and comes out moist and juicy each and every time. The key is to maintain a relatively low temperature (in this case 350ºF) so the meat doesn’t dry out.
Keeping the bone in and skin on is another secret to keeping your lean chicken breasts moist and juicy.
You can certainly enjoy it as is, but I like to add it to my weekend meal prep so I can use it as a head start ingredient for a busy week. It’s great in avocado chicken salad, Sonoma chicken salad, green chicken soup and rotisserie chicken salad (just to name a few!).
How Do You Make Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast?
This recipe could not be easier! Place the chicken breast on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle avocado oil over the top. Season generously with salt and pepper and feel free to add any other favorite seasoning. Other seasoning options are smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and/or onion powder. Bake the chicken for about 45 minutes and until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF and the chicken is cooked through.
Tips For Perfectly Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast
- Choose bone-in chicken breasts that are close to the same size, so that they cook at the same rate.
- You can double or even triple this recipe to have more prepared chicken on hand, as needed.
- Olive oil may be substituted for avocado oil.
- This technique also works well with bone-in chicken thighs.
- You can add some vegetables to the pan to cook along with the chicken. Some of our favorites include carrots, potatoes, broccoli, asparagus and zucchini. You may need to remove the veggies before the chicken is completely cooked, depending on what veggies you use.
This is a basic recipe for baked bone-in chicken breast, but you can add other herbs and spices to the mix to customize this dish to your tastes.
- Mexican Chicken: Rub a mix of 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes over the chicken before baking.
- Italian Chicken: Use 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice as a chicken topping.
- Moroccan Chicken: Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon as a rub for the chicken.
How Do You Know When Chicken Is Done Cooking?
Check to see if your chicken is done cooking by either cutting into it, or using a meat thermometer. If you cut into the chicken, there should be no pink remaining and the juices should run clear. The most accurate way to tell if your chicken is done is to use a thermometer. Insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast. To be considered safe to eat, the temperature should be at least 165ºF.
This baked bone-in chicken breast recipe is my go-to for busy nights when I don’t have a lot of time to stand around in the kitchen and work on dinner prep. It also happens to be totally delicious and pairs well with so many sides!
More Chicken Recipes To Try:
- Cast-Iron Skillet Chicken Thigh Recipe
- Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken Breast
- Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe
Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast
- 2 bone-in split chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle avocado oil over the top of each breast.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF and the skin is golden brown.
- Cool completely and remove the skin.
- Chop or shred the chicken breast and store in an airtight container. Chicken will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.