Lemon Tahini Dressing is made with just 5 ingredients (tahini, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, crushed garlic, and maple syrup) and is the perfect finishing touch for salads, roasted veggies, or grain bowls. It has a light, creamy texture with a naturally sweet nutty flavor. Enjoy it as a salad dressing, dip, or sauce!
This lemon tahini dressing is not only healthy but it’s also packed with flavor. Tahini provides a creamy texture and a nutty taste, while the lemon juice adds a refreshing citrus kick. It’s a versatile dressing that goes well with grain and veggie bowls, greens (I’m looking at you, Kale), and vegetable dishes (I love it drizzled over roasted radishes!). It’s also dairy-free, and nut-free, and can easily be made vegan by replacing the honey with maple syrup or omitting it completely.
Health benefits of tahini
Tahini is made by grinding sesame seeds into a smooth paste. It’s similar to peanut butter or almond butter but with its own unique flavor. I like to look for brands that are thin and pourable as they are much easier to work with.
- Rich in healthy fats: According to Healthline, about 50% of the fat in tahini comes from monounsaturated fatty acids which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Packed with antioxidants: Antioxidants give your body the tools it needs to maintain a strong defense system and healthy immune system! They are also great for your hair, skin and nails.
- Highly nutritious: It’s a great source of phosphorus and manganese, both are essential for bone health. It’s also high in thiamine (vitamin B1) and vitamin B6, which are important for energy production.
This tahini dressing recipe is filled with healthy, nutrient-rich ingredients. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Tahini: The base of the recipe that makes it creamy, rich, and wonderfully nutty.
- Lemon juice: Adds bright flavor!
- Extra virgin olive oil: For the perfect consistency and richness.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic gives the sauce a more complex flavor.
- Honey: Optional, but just 1 tablespoon of either honey or maple syrup balances the nutty taste with a subtle sweetness.
- Water: You’ll need a bit of water to give this dressing the consistency that you’d like. Add more for a thinner dressing or less for more of a dip or thick sauce.
- Salt & pepper: Brings all of the flavors together.
How to make lemon tahini dressing
Homemade dressings like this and our Buttermilk Ranch Dressing are so tasty and easy, you’ll never want store-bought again. Here’s the simple method:
- Combine ingredients: In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, and honey (or maple syrup) until well combined.
- Add water: Gradually add water to the mixture, whisking continuously, until you reach your desired consistency. Add more water for a thinner dressing or less water for a thicker dressing.
- Serve: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the sweetness or tanginess by adding more honey or lemon juice if desired.
Ways to serve
Yes, this lemon tahini dressing is great on salad, but there are a variety of other ways that you can use it to make your meals pop! Here are some ideas:
- Add it as a topping over grilled chicken, salmon, sandwiches, wraps, and burgers.
- Drizzle it over roasted veggies, oven-roasted potatoes, grilled veggies, or Buddha bowls.
- Make it a dip and serve it with fries, roasted potatoes, freshly cut raw vegetables or chicken tenders.
- Where to find tahini: If you’re not familiar with tahini, it can be found either down the aisle with other condiments like peanut butter or in the aisle with international foods.
- Serving: Enjoy this served at room temperature or chilled. It’s especially good chilled if you’re tossing it with a fresh salad. However, we like it at room temperature if we’re serving it over roasted vegetables or something warm.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you take it out of the fridge and it seems too thick for your liking, simply add a bit of water and mix it well.
More healthy salad dressing recipes
If you make this easy and delicious Lemon Tahini Dressing, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
5-Ingredient Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon 2-3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup optional, for sweetness
- 2 tablespoons water adjust as needed for desired consistency
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, and honey (or maple syrup) until well combined.
- Gradually add water to the mixture, whisking continuously, until you reach your desired consistency. Add more water for a thinner dressing or less water for a thicker dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the sweetness or tanginess by adding more honey or lemon juice if desired.