We are two days post Halloween which means we are on to Thanksgiving. Just. Like. That.
Yes. Yes. You all know how this time of year works.
If you sneeze or blink you could miss something.
So it’s really time to plant your heels and pay attention so you can take in the next couple of months without getting so lost in the busy that you forget to enjoy.
I’ve got lots of strategies for enjoying the holidays which includes shopping early and avoiding crazy crowds. But in the kitchen, I stick to what I do best, and keep things simple.
These potatoes are insanely amazing and use only five ingredients (make that three if you don’t count the salt and pepper).
The only catch is that you do need to have your roasted garlic on hand, ready to go (which is easy enough to add to your head start ingredient list on the weekend).
Make the garlic on Sunday while you you unpack your groceries and enjoy these heart-healthy, rustic potatoes for the holiday or any night of the week.
Roasted Garlic And Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
Yield: 6 servings (1/2 cup each)
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed clean (you can use Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 1/4cup + 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- Have one head of roasted garlic cooked and ready to go (I usually make a few heads at a time so I can use them as a head start ingredients for salad dressings, hummus and to spread on toast).
- Cut potatoes into hearty chunks. Place into a medium sized pot and cover with enough water to come about an inch above the potatoes. Place over a high heat and bring to a boil. Allow potatoes to boil for about 5-10 minutes or until the chunks are fork tender.
- Drain water from potatoes and put the potatoes back into the warm pot. Add olive oil, roasted garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
- Use potato masher (or the back of a fork) to mash the potatoes until you have a nice, hearty, rustic mash. Adjust seasonings and enjoy!