Creamy garlic mushrooms are super easy to make and a great way to add an extra layer of flavor to your main dish.
If you’re looking for a main dish to pair with these creamy garlic mushrooms, I recommend serving them on top of my Juicy Baked Chicken Breast.
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
Creamy garlic mushrooms have quickly become one of my favorite go-to, weeknight side dishes. They are easy to prepare, and the combination of mushrooms, garlic, thyme and is just so flavorful.
If you wanted to make this side dish even easier to make, you can buy your mushrooms pre- sliced at the grocery store. A simple little trick that will save you lots of time.
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms Without the Cream
I get so many requests for vegan recipes that I decided to make these creamy garlic mushrooms dairy free.
How do I do that? It’s very easy. Simply swap in some canned coconut milk for the cream and you will have dairy-free, vegan garlic mushrooms that are just as delicious and delectable as their counterpart.
Just be sure that your coconut milk is well blended before adding it into the pan with mushrooms. An easy way to do this is to blend the coconut milk in your blender right after you open the can.
The Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Cremini mushrooms are a rich source of many minerals including copper, selenium and phosphorus. They are also provide B vitamins including; vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and B6 and they contain potassium, amino acids, vitamin D, selenium, riboflavin, phosphorus, zinc, folate, and manganese.
Aside from all of their health benefits, I love their mild, earthy flavor and meaty texture. If you can’t find cremini mushrooms at your grocery store, you can sub white mushrooms in their place.
creamy garlic mushrooms over easy baked chicken
How To Prepare Mushrooms
Because mushrooms have a sponge like texture, you want to avoid running them under water so they don’t become water logged.
Instead, use a damp paper towel to wipe down the mushrooms caps, removing any loose dirt or debris.
Next, trim off the very tip of the mushrooms stem (you can skip this step if the stem does not look dried out) and then cut them into slices.
How To Cook Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
I find the easiest way to make these mushrooms, is to have all of my ingredients prepped and ready to go neat the stove top before cooking.
- Heat one tablespoons of oil in a non-stick sauté pan
- Add the mushrooms and allow them to cook until browned
- Add a pinch of salt and garlic and cook for another minute
- Pour the coconut milk (or cream) into the pan and sprinkle in the thyme
- Cook for a couple minutes or until the coconut milk has thickened
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle on a little kosher salt and black pepper, and finish with fresh parsley
- Serve and enjoy!
More Healthy Side Dish Recipes
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounce cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk blended*
- Heat a medium non stick saute pan over a medium heat and then add in olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring them occasionally, once they begin to look brown and have released from the pan.
- Season with some salt and pepper, before adding in garlic. Cook for another minute, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in coconut milk and fresh thyme. Cook for two more minutes or until the coconut milk has thickened up. Adjust your seasonings and then serve and enjoy!