If you like stuffed peppers you are going to love this Unstuffed Pepper Skillet.
This Unstuffed Pepper Skillet has all of the flavors and textures of stuffed peppers but comes together in half the time. It’s easy enough to pull together on a busy Tuesday night and is also a great option for meal prep.
What is Unstuffed Pepper Skillet?
An unstuffed pepper skillet is all of the things that you love about a stuffed bell peppers minus the part where you have to stuff and bake the peppers. Ground beef, onions, bell peppers, cauliflower rice, and crushed tomatoes all come together in an easy, family-friendly skillet meal in just 30 minutes.
What Makes this Unstuffed Pepper Skillet Low Carb?
Swapping out white or brown rice for cauliflower rice keep this skillet meal low carb and paleo friendly. It’s also a great way to add more veggies onto the plate without anyone even noticing.
I recommend buying (or making) a course cauliflower rice (not too fine) so that you get the texture of rice, without actually using rice.
*Note: if you don’t want to keep the recipe low carb, simply swap in white or brown rice for the cauliflower rice.
How Do You Make Unstuffed Pepper Skillet?
This unstuffed pepper skillet is slight spin off of my stuffed pepper recipe and could not be any easier to make.
- Heat the skillet to medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, I add in avocado oil along with onions, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Once my onions are translucent, I add in the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and saute until the meat is no longer pink. Mix everything back together.
- Add cauliflower rice, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and saute until the cauliflower rice is tender.
Top with fresh parsley or some shredded cheese and enjoy!
More Skillet Meals You May Enjoy:
- Turkey + Zucchini Skillet Recipe
- Cast Iron Chicken Thighs
- Spaghetti Squash Skillet
- Black Bean + Sweet Potato Skillet
*Note: this is the first recipe I demonstrate in my meal prep video below. If you want to watch this recipe being made it starts at .
Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time:35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (I like using a variety of colors)
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- optional: fresh parsley
- Heat your skillet over a medium high heat and add in avocado oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Saute until onions are translucent and add in bell peppers and cook for five minutes more.
- Push all the veggies to one side of the pan, add in ground meat and season with salt and pepper. Using a wooden spatula, break up the meat until it is in small crumbles. Once the meat is browned, combine with
- Add cauliflower rice, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Give it one good stir and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower rice is tender.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and enjoy!
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING: Calories 207 | Total Fat 7.9g | Saturated Fat 2.3g | Cholesterol 43mg | Sodium: 281 | Carbohydrate 16.1g | Dietary Fiber 3.2g | Sugars 4.6g | Protein 18.7g