After posting my Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake last year, I had a lot of requests for a gluten free alternative. These muffins deliver all the same deliciousness, sans the grains and the gluten.
It never fails to amaze me, that one can use almond butter as the base of a baking recipe and actually end up with a moist and delicious baked good (this recipe and this recipe are also great examples of this technique).
Just make sure that after you grate your zucchini, you squeeze all the water out of it. You may surprised at just how much water they hold.
I love making these on the weekend and then adding them to lunch boxes during the week. They are also great with a cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon.
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 medium zucchini 1 cup shredded
- 1 cup all natural almond butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips optional
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or coconut oil. Set aside.
- Use the small holes on a box grater to shred the zucchini. Place the shredded zucchini in the center of a clean dish towel and squeeze out as such water as you can.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter, eggs, milk ,and vanilla extract. Mix until all the et ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add in the cocoa powder, coconut sugar, salt, baking soda and coconut flour. Mix again until everything is well combined. Gently stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the muffin cups (each cup will be about half way full). Top each muffin with 4-5 chocolate chips.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Cool down and enjoy!