Scroll down to watch the step-by-step video.
My intention with this recipe was to make a brownie packed with some zucchini but it turns out the texture and flavor was much more like devils food cake, so I decided to call it Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake instead.
You would never believe there is 2 cups of zucchini packed into this cake. It’s super rich, chocolate-y, and moist and tastes nothing like a vegetable.
It’s a great snack to pack when you’re on the go and makes the perfect partner to a great cup of coffee.
Choate Zucchini Snack Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 11 ounces or 2 medium sized zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips + 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and coat and 88 baking dish with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, and apple sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just combined.
- Gently fold the zucchini and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips into the batter. Pour the batter into the baking pan and sprinkle the remaining chips over the top.
- Pop in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until set through. Cool and enjoy.