Scroll down to watch the step by step video.
*This recipe is from the archives. I’ve updates a few of the ingredients and added a video. These brownies are perfect for Valentine’s Day. Enjoy.
I’ve been reading about Back Bean Brownies for some time now and was so intrigued by the idea of using a can of black beans in a batch of brownies!
There’s just something fun about incorporating a nutrient rich ingredient like black beans into what would normally be nutrient-depleted, yet delicious sweet treat! Wouldn’t you agree?
But here’s the thing, I didn’t want to just make a traditional butter and sugar laden brownie with a can of black beans thrown in. I was going for a brownie made with “cleaner” ingredients; more whole food choices and less of the processed, refined choices. You know, something that looks like a brownie and acts like a brownie, that I could feel good about eating!
I used this recipe as the base for my brownie mix and then just kind of improvised. The result were these very rich, dense, fudge-like brownies that were a welcoming canvas for a schmear of my Honey Sweetened Chocolate Icing.
These brownies are super rich and decadent. And while they are more nutrient-dense, they are definitely not lite or low calorie but they are insanely delicious.
They are best enjoyed once they’ve completely cooled and have been topped with some chocolate icing.
I also love to freeze them, and then warmed quickly the microwave, just long enough to get the ice cold edge off.
And although they are not your traditional brownie (no Duncan Hines here my friends!) they are kid tested…
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY EVERYONE!!
Triple Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- A bit of oil to grease cooking pan
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Coat and 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sifted cocoa powder.
- In a blender, combine black beans, water maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend until everything si combined and the beans are broken down. This will be a very liquid-y mixture.
- Pour the bean mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well combined. Stir in the nuts and the chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into greased pan and pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes up clean.
- While the brownies are baking, make your icing by simply combining the unsweetened cocoa powder, coconut oil, honey and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix until you have a thick, rich chocolate icing.
- Once the brownies have cooled completely, spread the icing all over the top of the brownies. Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!