Melt-in-your-mouth healthy brownies that are irresistibly fudgy and chocolatey! These flourless brownies are made with bananas, almond butter and almond flour making them gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free.
Today’s clean and delicious sweet treat comes to you in brownie form. Except these aren’t your typical brownie. They are easy to make healthy brownies, that just so happen to be free of refined flours and suagrs.
They are made from just 6 key ingredients – bananas, almond flour, almond butter, egg, cacao powder and chocolate chips. They are 100% gluten-free and just lovely served alongside a cup of coffee or tea.
I’ll definitely be recreating these yummy brownies as a special treat for Valentine’s Day! ❤️
ingredients for healthy brownies
This recipe could not get any easier! You probably already have all of the ingredients on hand! Here’s the lineup:
- Bananas – The browner the better! You’ll need 3-4 brown bananas depending on the size. And if you don’t like bananas, no worries! You can sub applesauce.
- Almond butter – I like to use all-natural organic almond butter that’s just roasted (or raw) almonds + salt. Feel free to swap in any nut butter you have on hand. If you’ll be serving to someone with a nut allergy, you can even use sunflower seed butter.
- Egg – One egg will add structure and richness to these brownies! If you’re looking for a vegan option, you can try using 1 flax or chia egg instead.
- Almond flour – Packed with protein and healthy fats, almond flour is a great gluten-free alternative to refined white flour.
- Cacao powder – similar to cocoa powder, but less processed and more a bit more nutritious. . You can sub with cocoa powder, if that’s what you have in the pantry.
- Baking soda – to ensure the brownies bake up properly.
- Chocolate chips – use mini chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or dairy-free chocolate chips. You can even buy stevia sweeteend chips to cut back on extra sugars.
how to make almond flour brownies
Like all of my baking recipes, this is pretty straight forward. It’s what I like to call, ‘a-one-bowl-dump-and-stir’ recipe. My favorite kind! Here is all you have to do,
- Preheat oven and prep baking dish. Set your oven to 350ºF and grease an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray, butter or coconut oil.
- Mash bananas. Add bananas to a large bowl and use a fork to mash them against the side of the bowl. You can skip this if you are using applesauce.
- Mix ingredients. Next, add in almond butter, egg, almond flour, cacao powder, and baking soda. Mix until well combined. You will have a nice, thick batter.
- Add chocolate chips. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter and bake. Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips over the top, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes or until fragrant and set through.
That’s all you have to do! Easy enough, right?
- The browner the bananas, the better! Brown, overripe bananas are sweeter and we are relying on our bananas to sweeten the batter.
- Not a fan of bananas? You can make this recipe with applesauce! Whichever you choose, you will need 1.5 cups.
- If you’re looking for chocolate chips with lower sugar, Lily’s chocolate has a stevia-sweetened chocolate chip option. They are a great high-quality chocolate chip that I definitely would recommend.
- It’s important to let the brownies cool completely before slicing. They are very fudgy, so if you cut them too soon, it will be a mess!
- These brownies are great at room temperature, but I really love them straight from the fridge. I think they taste best cold, plus they last longer!
Looking for more delicious sweet treats?
- Healthy Blondie Recipe
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
If you make this healthy brownies recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know how it turned out. Your feedback is so helpful for me and our Clean & Delicious community (thank you!).
Healthy Brownies Recipe
- 3 large bananas (1.5 cups mashed)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips plus extra for sprinkling on top!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray, butter or coconut oil.
- Add bananas to a large bowl and use a fork to mash them against the side of the bowl until they are broken down. If you are using applesauce in place of the bananas, simply add it to the bowl.
- Next, add in almond butter, egg, almond flour, cacao powder, and baking soda. Mix until well combined. You will have a nice, thick batter.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips over the top, if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fragrant and set through. Cool completely before cutting into 9-12 squares. Enjoy!
- If you don’t eat eggs, you can easily swap in 1 flax or chia egg.
- I like to store these brownies in the fridge. I think they taste best cold, plus they last longer!