If you like warm, delicious comfort food that is also super nutritious, this Veggie Based Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is for you!
Jam packed with creamy sweet potatoes, black beans and plenty of onions, peppers, and garlic this chili will both comfort and fuel you all at the same time.
I like to make this chili on the weekend and then repurpose it into different meals during the week. It’s great stuffed into tacos, spooned on top of a salad, or simply packed into a thermos to bring for lunch.
Black Bean + Sweet Potato Chili
Yield: Six servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Total Time:1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 4 cups chopped sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces ) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium veggie broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large a medium to large pot. Add in the onions, peppers, and sweet potatoes along with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to turn translucent and everything is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and curry powder along with a little more salt and some black pepper. Add the tomatoes, beans, and broth and stir. Bring everything up to a light boil and then reduce down to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chili has reduced down and has a nice hearty consistency.
- Serve in your favorite bowl and top with your favorite chili toppings. Enjoy!