This black bean salad is a fresh, flavorful mix of black beans, corn, red onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and avocado, all tossed in a zesty cilantro lime blend. An easy salad that works as a light appetizer with chips and also pairs well with grilled meats or fish.
Corn and tomatoes are big summer crops here in New Jersey. I love finding different ways of working them into my recipes, so I can take advantage of their insane, seasonal, deliciousness!
I love that this salad is full of color and texture, it really captures the energy of the warm, action packed, summer days!
How Do You Make Black Bean Salad?
This recipe is super quick and easy! Simply combine canned black beans (that have been rinsed and drained), corn, red onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, and garlic with fresh lime juice and a small amount of olive oil. Toss gently to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish and enjoy!
- It is necessary to drain and rinse the black beans to remove the excess liquid and sodium.
- Fresh corn is ideal in this recipe, but if you absolutely have to, you can sub in frozen corn or canned corn.
- Any color of bell pepper can be used – red, yellow, orange or green.
- I typically use cherry tomatoes in this recipe, but if you only have regular tomatoes, that will work.
- If you’re not a fan of cilantro, simply leave it out.
- You can make this salad about 8 hours in advance. I would recommend leaving the avocado out and then tossing it in right before serving.
Black Bean Salad Variations
This black bean corn salad works well with a variety of different mix-ins. Feel free to add in other favorite ingredients and leave out any that don’t suit your taste.
- Meats: Add in some chopped grilled chicken, fish or shrimp and serve it all over a bed of greens to make this salad a main course.
- Veggies: Other vegetables that would be delicious mixed in are diced cucumber, zucchini and/or artichokes.
- Spice: If you want to add a little heat to your salad, stir in a half to one full jalapeño, with or without the seeds, depending on how much of a kick you want. You could also add in about 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or a dash of cayenne pepper.
More Delicious Salads To Try
Thanks so much for reading! If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a ★ rating below. And be sure to follow me on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and FaceBook for more healthy food inspiration!
Black Bean Salad
- 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup of fresh corn kernels about 2 ears
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Combine everything into a large bow and mix well. Serve and enjoy!