Tropical Mango Overnight Oats with Shredded Coconut is a healthy breakfast recipe that is easy to make with rolled oats, chia seeds, fresh or frozen mango and greek yogurt for a boost of protein. Meal prep this recipe in about 10 minutes and have a nutritious meal ready to go in the morning!
Mango overnight oats combines refreshing, juicy fruit with creamy greek yogurt, shredded coconut, milk, maple syrup and rolled oats for a tropical version of everyone’s favorite make-ahead breakfast!
Mornings can be so busy, but having breakfast ready-to-go is convenient and can make your mornings a breeze! In addition, overnight oats is a breakfast filled with nutrients from the rolled oats, Greek yogurt, chia seeds and the mango. The greek yogurt and chia seeds also make this a meal that will keep you feeling full right up until lunch. And the added mango a healthy, tasty, sweet addition in salads, smoothies and oatmeal.
Health benefits of mango
Not only are mangos sweet and flavorful, but they are filled with nutritional value. Here are some reasons why they are a great addition to your diet:
- Loaded with vitamins: According to Healthline, just 1 cup (165 grams) of fresh mango provides nearly 67% of the daily value for vitamin C. It’s also a good source of the minerals copper and folate.
- Low in calories: One cup (165 grams) of fresh mango contains fewer than 100 calories and has a very low calorie density, meaning that it has few calories for the volume of food it provides.
- High in antioxidants: Mango is packed with polyphenols, which are plant compounds that act as antioxidants to protect your body. This fruit has over a dozen different types!
- Heart healthy: It contains magnesium, potassium, and the antioxidant mangiferin, which all support healthy heart function.
This mango overnight oats recipe is made with whole, healthy ingredients, yet it still tastes incredible. Here’s what you need:
- Rolled oats: We find rolled oats the best for making overnight oats. You can use gluten-free oats, but we don’t recommend steel cut oats, as the texture will be different.
- Milk: Any milk works. We like to use almond milk best.
- Greek yogurt: Unsweetened greek yogurt adds a good amount of protein to the recipe. Use dairy-free yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
- Chia seeds: Add healthy fats & fiber to the overnight oats while also helping to thicken them a bit for the perfect texture.
- Maple syrup: Naturally sweetens the oats.
- Mango: These are delicious with freshly diced mango mixed right in and then added on top when you’re ready to enjoy! You can also use frozen mango, if you’d like.
- Shredded coconut: For texture and great flavor that compliments the mango nicely.
How to make this recipe
- Combine ingredients: In a mason jar or bowl, mix the oats, milk, Greek yogurt, chia seeds, maple syrup, mango, and shredded coconut until everything is well incorporated.
- Soak: Cover the jar or bowl and place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours and preferably overnight until your oats are cold and creamy.
- Serve: Before serving you can add more chopped mango, shredded coconut, and cashews or another nut, if you’d like. Enjoy!
Quick tip: Here’s my video showing you the best way to cut a mango.
What makes overnight oats healthy?
What we love about this mango overnight oats recipe is that it’s packed with protein thanks to greek yogurt, chia seeds provide healthy fats, mangos contain many vitamins and minerals and rolled oats are filled with fiber. Overnight oats are a great healthy breakfast option.
Can you eat overnight oats warm?
If you prefer warm oats, feel free to pop your overnight oats in the microwave to warm them up a bit before enjoying them. After heating them, give them a good stir and, if needed, add a splash of milk.
Tips & variations
- Let sit overnight: The longer overnight oats chill in the fridge, the more thick and creamy they will become. While you can wait just 3 to 6 hours before eating, we recommend letting them sit overnight so that they have the perfect texture.
- Swap the fruit: Not a mango fan? Swap the mango for strawberries, apple, peaches, blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries!
- Add more milk: Depending on how thick you like your overnight oats, you can add a splash more of milk before serving.
- More topping ideas: Have fun experimenting with different toppings! For this recipe, we went with diced mango and cashews, but a drizzle of almond butter, more shredded coconut or granola would be wonderful, too!
Mango coconut overnight oats will keep fresh in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days. Store in an airtight container or sealed mason jar. Before eating, stir well and add an extra splash of milk, if you’d like.
Mango Coconut Overnight Oats with Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or whatever milk you prefer
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup diced mango
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or small airtight container.
- Add in your favorite mix-ins, pop on a lid, and store in the fridge for at least 6 hours, and preferably overnight until your oats are cold and creamy.
- Top with extra fruit and some cashews, if you’d like. Enjoy!