These healthy lemon bars are light, creamy and perfectly tart. The crust is made with whole wheat flour and the light lemon filling is 100% free of dairy and refined sugars. Perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day or a summer cookout, this recipe will be your new best friend.
Healthy lemon bars make the perfect dessert for Easter, Mother’s Day or any time you are looking for a simple, delicious high quality sweet.
Made with everyday, wholesome ingredients; they are surprisingly easy to make and promise to be a crowd pleaser! I didn’t realize how much I liked lemon bars until I made this recipe. They are SO good and I can’t wait for you to give them a try.
How To Make Healthy Lemon Bars
Unlike refined white flours, whole wheat flour includes the wheat germ, the bran and endosperm – so it still contains all of its nutrients, plus its a great source of fiber and has 6 grams of protein per serving.
If you wanted a lighter texture for the crust, you can always do half whole wheat and half white flour. So as always, we’ve got options. Here’s what you do:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Combine whole wheat flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt. Mix until a wet, but firm consistency (like shortbread) is formed.
Line an 8×8 ceramic pan with parchment paper.
Press dough into lined pan, making sure to press it out evenly and into the corners.
Bake for 20 minutes or until fragrant and set through. Let cool.
- In the meantime, combine ingredients for filling and beat until smooth, liquid batter is formed.
- Pour mixture on top of the cooled crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool, chill + enjoy!
Do I need to refrigerate lemon bars?
You can leave your lemon bars at room temperature for a few hours, but it’s important to store them in the refrigerator after that.
How long will they last?
These lemon bars will last up to 5 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can you store them in the freezer?
Absolutely! I highly recommend you give frozen lemon bars a try on a hot summer day.
More Clean & Delicious Dessert Ideas:
I’d love to know if you try this (or any) recipe! Tag @clean_and_delicious on Instagram to let me know and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy, delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Healthy Lemon Bars
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 eggs
- 4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tsp coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt. Mix well until a wet, but firm consistence (like shortbread) is formed.
- Line an 8x8 ceramic pan with parchment paper.
- Press dough into lined pan, making sure to press it out evenly and into the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until fragrant, lightly browned and set through. Let cool.
- While crust is baking, combine eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt and coconut flour. Beat with a hand mixer until a smooth, liquid batter is formed. It will be runny, but don't worry, this is they way it's supposed to be.
- Pour mixture on top of the cooled crust and bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely then chill for 4 hours.
- Remove bars from pan, cut into 16 squares and top with a shake of powdered sugar. Serve and enjoy!
- I used a ceramic baking dish lined with parchment for this recipe. I've found that glass pans tend to burn more easily.
- The coconut oil can be swapped out for softened butter if you prefer.
- When pressing the crust batter into the pan, make sure to press it all the way out to the edges of the pan and in to the corners.