Scroll down to watch the video.
Even though it’s going to hit 91 degrees here in New Jersey today, I’ve still got ‘fall-fever’.
The kids are back in school, soccer starts on Saturday, my grocery store is brimming with apples, pears, and winter squash, AND I just can’t stop thinking about pumpkins.
But with the fall comes busy schedules, which is why I like to pull out my slow cooker this time of the year. It’s an easy and guaranteed way to ensure that my family has a healthy (and delicious) dinner, even on the busiest of days.
For this recipe all you do is load up your crockpot with the ingredients (I recommend at least a 6-quart slow cooker, I use this one), set it, and forget it!!
When you walk in your house at the end of the day, you will be greeted by a kitchen that embraces you with a warm and delicious aroma. Then all you have to do is pull out your favorite chili topping and enjoy.
Oh! And I promise, the chili is hearty and satisfying enough to satisfy both vegans and meat-eaters alike.
Crockpot Veggie Chili
Yield: about 10 cups
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:3-8 hours
Total Time:3-8 hours + 20 minutes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-15 oz. can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1-15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped kale
- Place all of the ingredients into a large crockpot (I used a 6 quart crockpot) and con on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings (I like diced onion, avocado, and jalapeños). Enjoy!
- If you do not like spicy chili, be sure to remove the seeds from the chipotle peppers before chopping them.
- If you don’t like chickpeas, feel free to sub in any type of bean you prefer (kidney or pinto would be great options).