Raspberry Cacao (Chocolate) Protein Smoothie – sweet, antioxidant-filled raspberries blended together with creamy vanilla protein powder and chocolatey superfood cacao for a dreamy, healthy mixture that will keep you full all morning long.
What’s better than a raspberry and chocolate protein smoothie? A raspberry and chocolate protein smoothie WITH almond milk and cacao nibs! This recipe is simple to make, requires only five ingredients, and will have you feeling energized all morning long!
This simple, yummy chocolate raspberry smoothie is perfect for a quick morning breakfast and is sweet enough to also have for dessert (if you don’t love chocolate, try my pumpkin pie smoothie or my green breakfast smoothie!).
You only need a few ingredients to make this smoothie, and the only thing that you’ll need from your kitchen is a blender. Simply blend together the ingredients and pour into a cup to enjoy! So what are you waiting for? Get your blender out, and let’s get started.
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Raspberry Protein Smoothie
- It’s a creamy, delicious combination of cacao (chocolate) and raspberry.
- It’s easy to make – all you need is a blender and a few ingredients.
- It’s very versatile – it can be an on-the-go breakfast, a post-workout shake, or even a healthy dessert.
- It will satisfy your chocolate cravings in a way that you won’t feel bad about.
- This smoothie is filled with antioxidant-rich raspberries. Did you know that these also help boost your immune system and burn fat? Talk about a superfood!
- Cacao will give you the chocolate taste that you’re wanting, without all of the sugar. An added bonus – cacao is also full of flavonoids that aid with blood pressure and blood flow.
Equipment Needed To Make Raspberry Cacao Smoothie
- Blender – I love my high speed blender but any type of blender will get the job done.
Ingredients For Your Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie Recipe
- 2 cups of frozen raspberries
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any milk you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 servings vanilla protein powder (I love Tera’s Whey protein)
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)
How To Make A Raspberry Cacao (Chocolate) Protein Smoothie
Prepare yourself for a very simple job! Here’s all you have to do.
Step 1: Pop everything except the cacao nibs in the blender and blend for 30 seconds.
Step 2: Divide amongst two glasses and top with cacao nibs. Enjoy!
What to Serve/Pair with Your Chocolate Raspberry Protein Smoothie
This filling chocolate raspberry protein smoothie serves as a great stand-alone breakfast. If you feel like you want something to pair with it and want to stay on your healthy track, try this smoothie with a side of almonds or fresh fruit. Honestly, it’s pretty substantial on it’s own – but some days we’re just hungrier than others.
Remember, smoothies also make a great dessert! If you want to make it a little more “festive”, top it with seasonal sprinkles. It also makes a cute party drink poured into festive cups with cute paper straws. No one would ever suspect that it’s such a healthy treat!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- This recipe also makes a delicious chocolate strawberry smoothie! Just switch out the frozen raspberries for frozen strawberries, and it will taste like a chocolate-covered strawberry in a cup.
- Switch out the vanilla protein powder for chocolate protein if you want it to be extra chocolatey.
- Add extra protein and nutritional benefits, by adding in some chia or hemp seeds. These little seeds pack a mighty punch! They will add more protein, more antioxidants, and more fiber! Plus they will make your smoothie even creamier.
- Mix in some veggies! Add in a scoop of frozen cauliflower (you won’t taste it, I promise!) or a bighandful of baby spinach. Such an easy way to get more greens.
How To Store Your Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie
If you happen to have leftovers of this chocolate raspberry smoothie (which almost never happens at my house), it can be stored in the fridge for up to two days in an air-tight container. To enjoy it leftover, just take it out of the fridge and stir, then it’s ready to drink! Keep in mind that, as with most smoothies, this one does taste better if it’s enjoyed when it’s fresh.
You can also freeze this chocolate raspberry smoothie for up to 3 weeks. Once it’s blended, just pour it into a sealed container and pop it into the freezer. When you’re ready to drink it, you’ll need to thaw it in the fridge until it softens to your preferred texture. If you think that it needs to be a little thinner, add a little milk and put it in the blender until smooth. Make sure that you stir it really well in case there was any separation during thawing.
Raspberry Cacao (Chocolate) Protein Smoothie With Almond Milk FAQs
What’s the difference between cacao and cocoa powder?
Cacao beans are not as processed as cocoa beans, and so they’re a bit healthier. Because cacao beans are not as processed, they are able to keep the health benefits that make them a superfood. They both taste chocolatey, but cacao is a little more bitter.
Does it matter what kind of protein powder that I use?
Do I need to add ice to this smoothie?
If you want a thicker smoothie, you can add some ice but the frozen raspberries will make it cold enough and will keep it from getting watered down. If you want a creamier texture, you can add a scoop of avocado or some frozen cauliflower (these will also give you some extra nutrients!).
Where do I find cacao nibs?
You can find these at most grocery stores, usually in the organic section. My favorite are the Navitas Organic Cacao Nibs. I find them at Target, but if for some reason you can’t find them at yours, they’re even available online from several major retailers, including Amazon.
Other Healthy Recipes You’ll Love
- Keto Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Chia Jam
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes
If you make this Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie Recipe, be sure to leave a comment and ★ rating below letting me know how it turned out. Your feedback is so helpful for me and our Clean & Delicious community (thank you!).
Raspberry Cacao (Chocolate) Protein Smoothie With Almond Milk
- 2 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk or any milk you prefer
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 servings vanilla protein powder I use this one
- 2 tablespoon cacao nibs optional
- Pop everything (except the cacao nibs) in the blender and blend for 30 seconds. Divide amongst two glasses and top with cacao nibs. Enjoy!