This Broccoli and Cheese Breakfast Casserole was inspired by a recipe I found over on Kalyn’s Kitchen. I know you guys know who Kalyn is by now, she writes a delicious food blog packed with South Beach Friendly recipes. And the great thing about Kalyn’s blog is that you don’t have to be on the South Beach Diet to enjoy all of her nutritious recipes!
Now in case you haven’t noticed by now, I am a huge egg fan. I love quiches, casseroles, friattas, scrambles, you name it – eggs are just so versatile. You can mix them with just about anything and enjoy them just about anytime of the day. They are good hot, cold, and room temperature, so really… what’s not to love??
Often times when I am making an egg based dish I mix the whole eggs with some egg whites. It makes the finished dish a bit lighter and does not sacrifice the flavor at all. In my opinion, it’s a win-win.
And the fact that Katie loves my egg concoctions actually makes this dish a win-win-win!
I never realized how much effort it would take to feed a little one nutritious foods. There really is a bit of diligence involved. Sometimes it just seems like it would be so much easier to feed Katie ice cream sandwiches for dinner (she never says no to those!).
I find that eggs, whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce, and smoothies are my “Katie default foods”. If she is not interested in the main meal, these are all quick and nutritious options that I turn to in order to ensure that she doesn’t end up eating a box of cheerios for dinner!
But I digress.
This casserole is very similar to frittata except that it is made in a glass pyrex dish and there is no stove top cooking involved. You just pop all of the ingredients into the pan and pop it in the oven.
I will definitely turn to this type of casserole the next time I am having people over for breakfast or brunch. It is the perfect dish to entertain with!
Have you guys ever made an egg casserole before? What are your favorite fillings?
Broccoli and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 5 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 12 eggs
- 12 egg whites or 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of grated part skim mozzarella
- 3/4 cup of grated low fat sharp cheddar
- Preheat over to 375. Spray a glass 10x14 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cut broccoli into small florets and steam for two minutes or until just tender. Toss broccoli with garlic powder, salt and curry powder.Set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, milk, and black pepper in a large bowl and beat with a fork or a whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Layer seasoned broccoli on the bottom of the casserole dish and evenly sprinkle the cheese over the broccoli. Pour the eggs over the broccoli and cheese and use a fork to make sure that the broccoli is evenly distributed through out the eggs.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the eggs are cooked through. Enjoy!
- Serves 8.