These gluten-free chocolate chip cookies are about to become your new go-to cookie recipe. They’re are 100% grain and flour-free and can easily be made dairy-free and vegan.
Crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside, they are everything you want a chocolate chip cookie to be, and could not be any easier to make. This, my friend, is about as healthy as a chocolate chip cookie gets.
Some of you may remember these cookies. They have been my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe for years. Anytime I make these cookies, at least one person asks me for the recipe.
Which is very understandable because they really are that delicious! So grab a pen and paper (or just hit the print button!) and prepare to make the best gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe you’ve ever had.
The Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
The key to making a gluten and grain-free chocolate chip cookie is almond butter. It’s hard to believe that one-cup of all natural almond butter creates the base for this cookie recipe, but it does.
No flour or flour substitutes needed. Just one cup of almond butter.
It’s super important that you do not dump out the oil that pools at the top of a new jar of almond butter when you make these cookies.
You want to stir that oil back into the jar so that your almond butter is smooth, creamy and almost pourable. Be sure to stir all the way to the bottom of the jar.
How To Make Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Other then being one of the most delicious cookies you’ll ever eat, they are also crazy easy to make. This is a one-bowl, dump and stir recipe. My favorite kind!
- Start by giving your almond butter a good stir.
- Combine almond butter, sugar, egg, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir everything together until you have nice thick cookie dough batter.
- Add in chocolate chips and gently mix them into the dough.
- Scoop up one tablespoon of cookie dough and shape into a small round disc.
- Place on baking sheet and repeat.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and your kitchen smells amazing.
- Cool and enjoy!
These cookies are super delicate when they are hot, so be sure to let them cool completely before removing them from the baking sheet.
This will be the hardest part of the cookie making process!
How To Make Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Vegan
I know that we have a good amount of vegans in the Clean & Delicious community so I wanted to be sure that you could enjoy these cookies too!
It’s very easy to make this recipe vegan.
The first focus is the egg. Simply swap the pastured egg for a chia or flax egg.
How To Make a Chia or Flax Egg
- Grind up a few tablespoons of chia seeds or flax seeds, depending on what you use.
- Scoop one tablespoon of ground up seed into a small bowl.
- Add three tablespoons of water to the seeds and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture as thickened and is gel-like it’s ready to go.
When it’s time to add the egg in this recipe, simply add the seed mixture in its place.
Dairy Free + Vegan Chocolate Chips
The other swap we need to make is the chocolate chips. Traditional chocolate chips will contain dairy. But this is a super easy fix.
Simply look for brands that are 100% vegan. If you’re not sure where to start, this brand would be perfect.
The Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: makes 20 cookies
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:12 minutes
Total Time:27 minutes
- 1 cup all-natural, unsalted almond butter
- ¾ cup turbinado sugar (also called sugar in the raw)
- 1 pastured egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF
- Start with a new jar of room temperature almond butter. Be sure to stir any oil that pools at the top back into the almond butter. You want the almond butter to be smooth, creamy and almost pourable.
- In a large bowl, combine almond butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Stir everything together until you have nice thick cookie dough.
- Add in chocolate chips and gently stir so they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Scoop up one tablespoon of cookie dough and shape into a small round disc using your hands (see video). Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with either a silicone mat or parchment paper. Repeat until you have used all the dough. You will need to work in batches or use two baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cool completely before removing from the baking sheet. They are very delicate when hot, so this is an important step. Enjoy!
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING: Calories 135 | Total Fat 8.6g | Saturated Fat 1.5g | Cholesterol 10mg | Sodium 162mg | Carbohydrate 13.3g | Dietary Fiber 1.2g | Sugars 11.2g | Protein 3.5g