When it comes to socializing during the holiday season, I would much rather snack and nibble throughout the evening than sit down to a full-course meal.
Especially if the crowd is going to be more than six people. I’ve always felt that sit down dinners with more then six people lose some of the intimacy and charm of a great shared meal, so if I’m working with a crowd, I usually lean towards lots of snacks and nibbles.
These Sweet and Spicy Nuts are perfect for a holiday cocktail party and they are super easy to make. Simply toast up some nuts (any combo will do) and finish them with a kiss of butter, a squish of honey, a dash of hot sauce, and some fresh chopped rosemary.
Those few simple steps will leave you with a nut to remember.
They also make a great head-start ingredient. Add them to your weekend meal prep, store them in an airtight container and then sprinkle them on top of salads to add a crunchy, salty, sweet and spicy blast of flavor.
Helpful Kitchen Tools:
Sweet and Spicy Toasted Walnuts
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnuts (halves or pieces)
- 1 tsp. pastured butter
- 1 tbsp. honey
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. of fresh rosemary chopped up
- Heat a small non-stick saut pan over a medium-low heat, toss in nuts and gently toss around, looking for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant and lightly toasted.
- Turn the heat all the way down, as low as it can go, and add in the butter, hot sauce, honey, salt and rosemary. Toss again until the nuts are coated in all the yummy goodness (you can also do this by mixing with a rubber spatula).
- Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet to cool. Enjoy!