As most of you know, I am a big fan of ‘head start’ ingredients.
Every weekend, Beng and I (it so great to have a hubby that’s on board) take the time to prep a handful of weekly staples that help us jump start meals as the week progresses.
These staples vary a bit form week to week, but for the most part it looks something like this:
- 2 big Tupperware containers packed with cleaned and cut veggies – our go to fave’s are celery, broccoli, radishes, cauliflower, carrots, and cucumbers
- Some form of whole grain (usually either brown rice or quinoa)
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Chicken, salmon, and/or hard boiled eggs – we use these for quick sandwiches and salads once the week get going
We also have store bought staples like hummus, Greek yogurt, and Ezekiel bread (I just love the cinnamon raisin), but as for foods we actually prepare, that list pretty much sums up our ‘head start’ ingredients.
Usually when I opt to make chicken I go with my Basic Baked Chicken Breast, but this week I wanted something a little bit different. That’s when I remembered how much I LOVED chicken breast made in the crock pot.
If you’ve never tried this simple technique before then you’re going to be pleasantly surprised.
I remember the first time I made chicken breasts in a crock pot I could not believe how tender they became. They literally begin to shred apart the minute the fork touches them.
Pretty impressive for a cut of chicken that has a tendency to become hard, dry, and over cooked!
And the shredded chicken makes a great ‘head start’ ingredient to keep in the fridge for clean,quick and easy weeknight meals.
I kept the seasonings very basic in this recipe, but feel free to add more spice and flavor by experimenting with seasonings like cumin, chili powder, curry powder, coriander, cilantro, parsley, and salsa (just to name a handful).
Have you ever made shredded chicken in your crock pot before? If so, what are some of your favorite ways to use the chicken in a meal?
Last night we made Garlicky Chard and Shredded Chicken Burritos using some of the leftover chicken… I promise to post the recipe sometime this weekend!
Simple Shredded Chicken (in the crock-pot)
- 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with chilis
- 1 onion sliced into half moons
- 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth or enough to just cover the chicken
- Season the chicken breast with garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Layer the tomatoes, onions, and seasoned chicken breasts in the crock pot and cover with the chicken broth. You want to use enough broth to just cover the chicken.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Once the chicken is done, remove to a cutting board and shred with a fork. (I like to store mine in a little f the liquid to keep it moist).
- Makes 6 servings.