Looking for a meat free alternative to a traditional slider? If so, these Quinoa Salmon Sliders may be just what you want.
The two star ingredients in these sliders are the quinoa and the salmon (as if I needed to explain that, lol!).
Quinoa is technically a seed that is usually grouped with the grains. It happens to be a complete protein and cooks up much faster then traditional grains so it’s a great option when you want something easy (and delicious!).
And the salmon, is canned wild salmon. I have been a cheerleader for wild canned salmon for years. It’s an easy, inexpensive, delicious way to work more heart healthy salmon into your kitchen.
I know a lot of people hesitate at the idea of eating salmon from a can, but remember, I was (and am) a foodie way before a I was a health nut, and I truly will not eat foods unless they taste good (no matter how healthy they are said to be!).
So if you have been on the fence about it, this may be the perfect recipe to, ‘dip-you-toes-in-the-water” with.
I love serving them on a mini bun with my yogurt dill sauce but they are also delicious on top of a big green salad for a light, protein packed lunch or dinner.
*Thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for partnering with me on my Whole Grain Summer Recipe series. If you want to try quinoa, Bob’s is offering 20% off all of their products to everyone in the C&D Community!
Simply click HERE and use code: CLEAN20 to save 20% off on TONS of delicious, nutritious ingredients! *EXPIRES 8/31/18
Quinoa + Salmon Sliders
Yield: 8 sliders
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup COOKED quinoa
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- 1 5-ounce can wild salmon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Mini whole grain slider buns
- 7 ounce plain greek yogurt
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill salt and pepper
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over a medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add in the onion with a pinch of salt and sauce for a couple of minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms and garlic and sauce for another 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are tender and browned. Shut off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, cooked veggies, bell peppers, salmon, egg, coconut flour, salt, pepper and parsley. Gently mix everything together until well combined.
- Scoop up about 1/3 cup of the mixture and form into a small patty (like burger slider!)
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve on a mini slider bun with some baby spinach and my yogurt dill dip. Enjoy!
Nutrients per slider (no sauce, no bun): Calories: 86; Total Fat: 4.1g; Saturated Fat: 1.2g; Cholesterol: 29mg; Sodium 36mg, Carbohydrate: 5.1g; Dietary Fiber: 1.3g; Sugars: 1.1g; Protein: 7.4g