Yes. You read that right. A bagel made from cauliflower.
What the what?
So, let’s start with WHY?
Why in the world would anyone want to make a bagel out of cauliflower?
In my opinion, it’s one of two reasons.
You are either on some type of eating plan that eliminates grains and you simply want to have a grain free bagel experience OR you are like me, and just can’t seem to resist a food trend!
Either way, if you like to cook, they are fun to try at least once.
These bagels surprised me because once they cook they hold together really well and can easily be used as the base for a sandwich or toasted up with some butter.
You really can’t detect the flavor or the cauliflower at all although the texture is much different then your traditional bagel. They are very light, a bit moist and little spongy. I found I liked them best as the base for a turkey and spinach sandwich.
Be sure to watch the step-by-step video below to learn all the little tips and tricks I used to make these bagels a success. And if you give them a try, I would love to hear your thoughts!
Yield: 8 bagels
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time:1 hour
- 3 cups packed cauliflower rice (600g or 21 ounces)
- pinch of kosher sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp. almond flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
Everything Bagel Spice Combo
- 1 tbsp. poppy seed
- 1 tbsp. sesame seed
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. minced onion
- 3/4 tsp. kosher sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 400
- Line a rimed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower rice, salt, garlic powder, eggs, almond flour and coconut flour. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the dough and start by forming a ball between the palms of your hands. Give the dough a gentle squeeze to extract any excess liquid and then flatten that ball out a bit keeping the edges rounded and then poke whole in the center. The dough is delicate, so work slowly and take your time. (See video for step by step instructions).
- Place the bagel on the rimmed baking sheet and repeat until you have 8 bagels.
- Sprinkle the everything bagel spice mixture over the top of each bagel, and gently push the seeds onto the bagel using the back of a spoon.
- Pop into the oven for 30 minutes or until the bagels are set through and golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and adding your favorite bagel toppings.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrients per bagel; Calories: 43; Total Fat: 2.3g; Saturated Fat: 0.6g; Cholesterol: 53mg; Carbohydrate: 3.5g; Dietary Fiber: 1.8g; Sugars: 0.9g; Protein: 2.8g