Never underestimate an egg.
They are so darn versatile!
I’ve become a big fan of eggs for dinner so when I was at my Yoga class last week and my favorite yoga teacher (Amy) told me that she made my leek and potato tortilla (which is not posted) with the addition of smoked salmon I was not only flattered but I couldn’t wait to get into the kitchen and give it a try.
Now, I didn’t do it exactly the same as Amy because when I went to the store to pick up the salmon I got stuck on the idea of dill and asparagus (it’s a yummy combo). So salmon, leeks, asparagus and dill it was.
When I made this frittata I used four ounces of salmon but I think it may have been a little too much.
Although delicious, the frittata wasn’t super fluffy and I think it was because the salmon is so rich and has a lot of fat (healthy fat, the fat we want, omega 3’s) that it kinda weighed my frittata down.
So in the recipe, I only call for two ounces of salmon. I mean, flavor wise, a little goes a long way with smoked salmon so I’m thinking that might be the perfect amount, but feel free to play.
The best part about eggs for dinner is that whatever you don’t eat, you can eat the next day for breakfast or lunch. It’s the perfect cook once, eat twice meal.
Salmon and Dill Frittata
- 2 big leeks sliced lengthwise and cut into half moons
- 1 cup of asparagus cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- Splash of 1% milk
- 2 tbsp of chopped dill
- 2 oz. smokes salmon cut into thin strips
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Coat a 10-inch non-stick saut pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium flame. Add leeks and saut for about ten minutes or until translucent and tender. Stir in asparagus and a splash of water, pop a cover on a cook about four to five minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
- In the meantime, combine eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk well before stirring in the dill and salmon.
- Pour egg mixture into saut pan with the leeks and asparagus. Pop it all into the oven for 20 minutes and enjoy!!