As soon as the New Year came this year, I was knocked down with a big fat cold that has since turned into a sinus infection. It’s been a blast but I am more than ready to be done with the whole thing so I getting extra rest and making sure to eat amazing, nourishing food like this bowl of Green Chicken and Veggie Soup.
The secret to this soup is blending cilantro, garlic, and serrano pepper in the blender along with some broth and then stirring it into the pot so that all of that immune boosting goodness (and amazing flavor!) is infused throughout the soup making every bite healing and delicious.
If you despise cilantro (like many do) simply swap in some parsley in it’s place. I like making a nice big pot of this soup on the weekend so I have it all week long as a quick, simple, healthy meal for lunch or dinner (and even breakfast sometimes!).
If you decide to give it a try, please come back and let me know what you think! And if anyone has a magical, natural remedy for a sinus infection, feel free to share that as well
Green Chicken + Veggie Soup
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 12 ounces shredded chicken I like using a rotisserie
- 2 small zucchini chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 bunch cilantro stemmed
- 1 Serrano pepper
- A few handfuls of baby spinach chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add in onions, pepper, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the veggies begin to look tender.
- While veggies are cooking, blend cilantro, Serrano pepper, 1 clove garlic and 2 cups of broth in the blender. Set aside.
- Once veggies are tender, season with cumin, oregano, and a little more salt and pepper, stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, zucchini, corn, remaining chicken broth and the cilantro broth you blended in the blender. Bring to a boil, reduce down and simmer for 10 more minutes or until your veggies are tender.
- Finish with a few handfuls of baby spinach and enjoy!