Scroll down to watch the video.
I love the simplicity of summer ingredients.
They have so much flavor and require so little work.
This salad is the perfect example of seasonality at its best… green beans and tomatoes tossed with a basic vinaigrette and finished with a little fresh basil.
Crazy simple. Insanely delicious.
Just be sure that you choose the highest quality ingredients you can get your hands on because the produce is the star of the show here. If you buy inferior produce, you can expect inferior results.
Look for local, organic, green beans and tomatoes (your neighbor’s yard might be a good place to start), then allow mother nature to do what she does and dazzle you with her bounty.
This salad is great to throw on the table any night of the week, makes for a scrummy (scrumptious + yummy) light lunch, and is perfect for a picnic or bbq.
Give it a try.
Let me know your thoughts.
Green Bean & Tomato Salad
- 1 lb. green beans
- 1.5 cups small tomatoes of your choice quartered
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp. diced onion
- 5 leaves of basil thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse, trim, and cut green beans into 1-inch pieces.
- Add green beans to a steamer basket and steam for 2-4 minutes or until al dente (crisp with a good bite).
- Shock the green beans by transferring them from the steamer into a big bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking and ensure the beans retain their bright green color.
- Dry off beans by rolling them around in a dishtowel, then transfer to a large bowl. Toss in tomatoes and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, garlic, onion, and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over green beans and tomatoes and gently toss. Adjust the seasonings and finish with fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Serves 6.