Creamy Mushroom Soup
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 2 ounces dried shitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh white or cremini mushrooms; cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. shallots, minced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Soak the dried shitake mushrooms in hot water for 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Once the oil has melted, add in the fresh mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- In the meantime, strain the soaking mushrooms, BE SURE TO RESERVE THE SOAKING WATER, give them a chop and add into the pot with the sautéed mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the pan, stirring, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in the stock and reserved mushroom liquid and bring just to a boil. Turn off the heat and in your half and half.