Big, fat, plump, juicy blueberries have been all over the place lately, which is really no surprise considering it is berry season, but very exciting none-the-less!
The best part about seasonal produce is the price. When there is an abundant supply, there is a decrease in cost (yeah) which is why I had no problem handing a heaping cup of fresh blueberries over to these simple and tasty scones!
Now any type of baking that calls for precision is not exactly my thing which is why I love baking things like cookies, muffins, breads, and scones. I find you can be a little loosey-goosey with the measurements without affecting the final product too much!
And these were just as amazing!
(BTW – if you wanted to try this version, simply swap out half the blueberries for chopped apricots and then sprinkle the top with slivered almonds!)
Soeven if ESPECIALLY if you’re not a baker you have to try this recipe. It’s just too good and easy not to!
SO tell me… do you like to bake? Does baking intimidate you? Have you ever made home made scones before??? What is your favorite flavor scone?!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups of white whole-wheat flour
- 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus one tbsp of raw sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. low fat milk
- 1 heaping cup of blueberries
- 1 tbsp of melted butter
- Pre heat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cup of sugar.Stir in the milk and mix just until the dough starts to come together (it will be sticky!). Add in the blueberries, mixing just enough to get them incorporated.
- Place dough onto a floured counter top and knead briefly, just enough to bring the dough all together.Use your hands to pat the dough down into about an 8-inch circle.
- Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and place the wedges on a rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat making sure that the scones dont touch.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.
- Makes 8 scones.