Minestrone Soup Recipe
This is a classic version of minestrone soup; packed with veggies like; carrots, onions, celery, garlic, cabbage, potato, zucchini and baby spinach. So perfect for a chilly evening.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dired oregano
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into bit sized pieces
- 3 cups savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1.25 cups canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, *optional, for topping
- red pepper flakes, *optional for topping
- 12 ounces brown rice pasta *optional
Heat oil in a heavy, 5-6 quart pot.
Add in onions, celery, carrots and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook for 8-10 minutes or until veggies are tender and fragrant.
Add in garlic and stir. Cook for one minute and add in spices; bay leave, oregano, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir well.
Next, add in potatoes, cabbage, zucchini, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring everything to a boil.
Reduce heat down, simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
Cook pasta according to directions, strain and keep warm in the pot.
Stir in cannellini beans, baby spinach, and fresh parsley. Cook until the greens are wilted down and beans are heated through.
Scoop pasta in the bottom of your bowl, ladle soup over the top and serve topped with grated parmesan cheese and red chili flakes. Enjoy!
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 1409mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5428IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 6mg