Healthy Lentil Soup Recipe
This healthy lentil soup is made with vegetables, lentils, and a perfect blend of herbs, all simmered in a flavorful broth. An easy one pot dinner option that the whole family will love! (Vegan + Gluten Free)
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 pound green lentils
- 2 onions chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 leeks chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 stalks of chopped celery about 3 cups
- 6 carrots chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 bunch of collard greens stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 4 cups chicken stock use veggie broth to keep recipe 100% vegan
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
Add the celery, carrots and collards and sauté for 10 more minutes.
Add the chicken stock, water, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through. Adjust the seasonings and finish with the sherry vinegar. Enjoy!
- To freeze: transfer soup to a resealable freezer bag or air tight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Lentil soup can also be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, so it's perfect for meal prepping.
- This soup makes a large amount. Feel free to cut the recipe in half, if you aren't wanting so much.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4080IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2.9mg