Roasted chicken is and easy and delicious recipe that every home cook needs to have in their back pocket.
In this video, I am showing how I pull together a fast and flavor weeknight meal by roasting a whole chicken on top of some sweet potatoes and then serve it all alongside my go-to kitchen sink salad.
Whole Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes + Kitchen Sink Salad
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4-5 pound roasting chicken
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 hearts of romaine chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 small cucumber choppers
- big handful chopped red cabbage
- handful of cheery tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- fat pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place sweet potatoes in cast iron skillet, season with salt pepper and one teaspoon avocado oil. Toss everything together.
- Prep the chicken by removing all giblets (if your chicken had them), remove any excess feathers and then pat the chicken as dry as possible. The drier the chicken is, the crispier the skin will be.
- Generously season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper and then place the lemon inside.
- Drizzle the outside of the chicken with avocado oil and then generously season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on top of the potatoes and pop in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and drizzle with salad dressing (recipe to follow).
- Whisk all ingredients together in a spouted cup or a mason jar and drizzle over your salad. Enjoy!
Hey Dani! We got our first ButcherBox yesterday. That was quiick! I ordered it Wednesday and it was here Friday! WOW! we got the free chicken and $10 off. 🙂 We’re grilling the strip steaks tonight. We’re not adding anything to them tonight because we want to taste the difference from what we’ve been used to in the grocery store.
Made your salad dressing as well. Very excited to try it all. Can’t wait!!
I made the roasted chicken with potatoes and salad for my family today. It was a great Sunday dinner.
Thanks so much
So glad you enjoyed it. This is one of my favorite Sunday dinners as well!
Thanks, Dani. This is going to be dinner for tonight. I like to roast two chickens at once (in a bigger pan), so we have leftover shredded chicken for other recipes.
About the salad…do you put dressing on and toss before serving, or does each person put their own dressing on their individual plate of salad?
Each person puts dressing on their own salad!! Enjoy:)
this looks delicious – am going to try it. can a turkey breast be substituted for a whole chicken?
Diane O says
Looks so delicious and easy. Can’t wait to cook this!
yay! enjoy it.
Robin Palmer says
We’re only two people here … would a smaller bird (like 3 lb) also work? How much would one reduce the cooking time?
Yes! I would start to check cooking temp after 1 hour.
Which variety of sweet potatoes are these and how sweet are they? I have tried darker varieties and they were much too sweet for me.
They are just called sweet potatoes at our store but are drier and less sweet then the darker sweet potatoes. They are by far my favorite!