And just like that the holidays are over, well almost at least!
We still have New Year’s around the corner and whether you are laying low or planning to close out the year with a rockin’ party, I’ve got the perfect meal to jump start your year come January 1st.
This is one of those meals that just hugs you from the inside out.
The bacon adds a depth flavor that lends the soup a slow cooked flavor, while the greens and the beans provide us with all of the nutrients and energy we need to start this year out on the right foot.
So until next year (I couldn’t resist) I leave you with one last recipe for 20.17
Happy New Year everyone!! Can’t wait to cook with you next year.
Black Eyed Peas & Collard Greens
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 3 slices of nitrate free bacon I used 40% less fat, chopped up
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 2 15 oz cans of black-eyed peas and the liquid they come in
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups of collard sliced into ribbons
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp of chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium stockpot over a medium low heat and then add bacon. Allow to cook for about five minutes or until the bacon is browned.
- Add in the onions and a pinch of salt, saute for about 3 minutes or until the onions begin to release some of their liquid before adding in the celery and garlic. Cook all the veggies for another five minutes or until they are fragrant and tender.
- Add beans, broth, thyme, and rosemary to the pot. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Once simmering, stir in your greens. Cook for another 10 or fifteen minutes (depending on how tender you like your greens).
- Stir in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Makes 5 cups 4 1&1/4 cup servings