Why is it that little kids love chicken tenders so much? It’s so cliche, but it’s so true.
They’re right up there with pizza, pasta, hot dogs, and french fries and while I’m not into labeling foods ‘good’ and ‘bad’, I am into making whole food versions of the classics that both taste great AND work for my body (and I’ll just have to assume it works for their little bodies as well).
This recipe is simply a breaded chicken tender with a little melted cheese on top. We like to serve the sauce on the side; it’s fun to dip and your chicken doesn’t get soggy.
If you don’t like garlic, you may want to skip the salt and garlic powder combo that I sprinkle on the chicken before breading because it does add a good kick of garlic.
Serve this with some Popcorn Broccoli for a Clean&Delicious®, kid-friendly, Valentines Dinner.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Tenders
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Italian style Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 2 oz. Shredded part skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Pre heat oven to 425
- Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place egg whites in a small bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate small bowl.
- Slice chicken breasts into tenders.
- Combine the garlic powder and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle garlic-salt mixture over the chicken tenders.
- Dip each tender into the egg whites, shaking off any excess, and then dip into the breadcrumbs. Place breaded tender on baking sheet. Continue until you have finished breading all the tenders.
- Bake for 6 minutes, flip the chicken and bake for 6 more minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top of chicken and pop back into the oven for 2 more minutes or until cheese has malted.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
- Makes 4 serving.