photo credit: DONOT6_STUDIO
Brown rice is one of my favorites when it comes to whole grains but cooking brown rice can be tricky sometimes. Sometimes the brown rice doesn’t absorb all the water and other times the brown rice gets stuck to the bottom of the pot! So in this video I’m not only sharing everything you need to know about buying, storing and enjoying brown rice BUT I am also sharing my go-to technique for making perfectly cooked brown rice each and every time (hint: you can scroll to the recipe below if you want to jump straight to the technique).
BROWN RICE + MEAL PREP
Brown rice is a great ingredient to add to your meal prep because it will happily last in your fridge for up to a week once it’s made.
Just be sure that you let your rice cool down to room temperature before transferring into an airtight container. Then you can pop it in your fridge and your brown rice will be waiting for you when you’re ready.
You can also freeze your brown rice if you want to make it last even longer. I like to use this technique for freezing my brown rice.
EASY HEALTHY RECIPES USING BROWN RICE
- Brown Rice + Broccoli Quesadilla
- Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl
- Spinach Feta + Brown Rice Pie
- Quick Veggie-Brown Rice
- Mango + Chickpea Brown Rice Salad
You can learn all about brown rice here and be sure to print out how to make perfectly cooked brown rice below.
How to Make Perfectly Cooked Brown Rice
- 2 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add water and salt in a small pot (I used a 2.5 quart pot) and bring to a boil. Stir in ric and bring back up to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low so that you have a gentle simmer and pop on the lid. Set your timer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, begin to check the rice. Once the water has absorbed, shut off the heat and let the pot sit on the stove (with the lid on!) for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir you light fluffy rice. Enjoy!