Holy delicious sandwich.
This is basically a Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, and Tomato Sandwich stuffed with a Veggie Burger.
This was one of those days when I was in the mood for something really “hearty” (hearty meaning, indulgent and caloric… something with a burger-like-bite) BUT I didn’t really want to eat crappy food.
A B.L.T. sounded good, but just not hearty enough. That’s when it hit me, add a veggie burger to the B.L.T. and make a big, fat, hearty, delicious sandwich (that I could feel good about eating). Another win-win. I love that.
The biggest misconception out there is that in order to eat well we have to give up all the foods we love OR that we have to eat the same old boring, bland foods all the time. It’s just not true. There are 101 different ways to make satisfying, nutritious meals that satisfy even the most indulgent cravings (we just have to get a little creative is all). And hopefully, I can help you guys with this since it makes me SO very happy to do so.
Instead of eating a greasy bacon burger on white bread with lots of mayo, we get to eat a nutritious veggie burger, layered with lettuce and tomatoes (all veggies), a little turkey bacon (lean protein), smothered with avocado (healthy fat) and piled up on some Ezekiel bread (high fiber, complex carb)! All without missing a beat.
I’m telling you, it’s the little things in life that make me happy and this sandwich had me smiling from ear to ear.
Veggie Burger B.L.A.T
- 2 slices of Ezekiel bread
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 veggie burger I use Dr. Preaegars
- 2 to mato slices
- 2 leaves of Romaine lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook veggie burger in a small non-stick skillet until crispy on the outside and heated through (simply follow the instructions on the package).
- Place the bacon on a microwave safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Pop the bacon in the microwave for about two minutes or until nice and crispy.
- In the meantime toast your bread. Once the bread is toasted, spread the Greek yogurt on one half (this will be the bottom) and smash the avocado on the second half (this will be the top). Sprinkle each side with a little salt and pepper.
- Layer tomato and lettuce on top of the yogurt covered bread and then pile your burger right on top. Cut each slice of turkey bacon in half and lay on top of the burger.
- Pop the avocado smothered piece of bread on top of it all and enjoy!!!