There are many-a-meals made in my home that never make it to the blog.
Often times it’s because I don’t have the time, desire, or patience to get a decent picture of the food (and I am a-gotta-see-it-to-wanna-eat-it-kinda-girl) but most of the time it’s because a lot of what we eat around here doesn’t seem to fit into “recipe-format”.
Take this Vegetarian Springtime Pesto Bowl as an example…
Not really a recipe… just some fresh spring veggies that were in the veggie drawer, quickly sauteed and topped with a dollop of my Clean & Delish Pesto.
Super simple. Super fresh. Super delish.
All veggies AND super satisfying!
So that got me thinking about how sometimes it’s less about providing the perfect recipe and more about providing inspiring ways to get simple, tasty, nutritious meals on the table.
This takes me back to my conversation from a few weeks ago about sticking to the basics and keeping our meals simple. As much as I love to come up with new recipes and meal ideas I also love super simple, super quick, no-brainer meals that incorporate whatever ingredients I just so happen to have on hand. There’s no need to complicate things and it’s a great way to practice digging into your veggie drawer and getting creative!
So here’s my challenge to you:
Choose at least one meal this week that is NOT a recipe or a family favorite. Leave the meat for another night and see what kind of SUPER SIMPLE, C&D meal you can come up with by digging into your veggie drawer and making a fresh, seasonal, nutritious meal (oh! and feel free to turn to the pantry for some grains & beans too).
And don’t forget to come on back and let me know what you make. After all, you guys are my inspiration:).
Vegetarian Springtime Pesto Bowl
- 1 lb purple potatoes quartered
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 5 scallions sliced
- 3/4 lb shelled green peas
- 1 large bunch asparagus cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup of white beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp Clean & Delicious Pesto
- Cover potatoes with water in a medium pot. Bring to a full boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Strain off water and return the potatoes to the pot until you are ready to use.
- In the meantime, heat your oil in a large saut pan over a medium high heat and add in scallions. Saut the scallions for about 3 minutes (or until the scallions are nice and fragrant) and then add in peas, asparagus, and a half-cup of water.
- Cook for two minutes and then toss in the beans. Allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the veggies are just cooked and your beans are heated through and finish with salt and pepper.
- Serve of the potatoes with of the veggie mixture in a bowl topped with a tablespoon of Clean & Delicious Pesto. Enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings.