Scroll down to watch the video!
We woke up to snow this morning and I’m giddy.
The kids get to stay home from school, I added eggnog to my coffee, we are putting up the Christmas tree and I’m already concocting what I’ll be making for dinner tonight.
This soup would be perfect.
What I love about soups like this is that they fulfill the need for comfort food without being chock full of butter, cheese, cream, and pasta.
It’s warm, comforting, and nourishing.
Just the way I like it. Enjoy!
Fennel Tomato And White Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small or 1 large bulb of fennel thinly sliced
- 1 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans white kidney beans
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese optional, but delicious for topping
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy bottom pot. Once the oil is hot, add onion, garlic and fennel along with a pinch of salt. Saut for 8-10 minutes or until the onion and fennel is beginning to look translucent.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and beans and bring to a boil. Once youve got your boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. This will allow the soup to thicken and become nice and hearty.
- Once youre soup has reached the desired consistency, stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. The spinach will wilt down in a matter of minutes and your soup will de done. Enjoy!
- Makes 6 cups (4- 1.5cup servings)