Scroll down to see the video.
My 5 year old son has officially declared stuffed peppers as his favorite meal which makes me smile because when I was a kid, they were also one of my favorite meals, so I get his love of the stuffed pepper.
But, sometimes I just don’t have the time or desire to make and assemble stuffed peppers which is why I am obsessed with this soup. It’s basically the exact same ingredients that I use to make my stuffed peppers, but in a soup. So it’s quicker and easier to make and we still get get all the flavors and textures that we love so much. #winwin
I opted for white rice this time around, but you can easily swap in brown rice if you prefer. Actually, you can swap in any grain you like, they would all work. I’ve even made this with riced cauliflower as a veggie packed, lower carb option. They are all delish.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:35 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
- 3 cups of cooked white rice
- 1 lb. of grass-fed ground beef
- 1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over a medium heat and add in the ground beef. Season the meat with some salt and pepper and then mix it all together, breaking up the meat with the back of your spoon until you have crumbles.
- Once the meat has browned, add in the peppers, onions, and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes or until the veggies have just began to feel tender.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning and a little more salt and pepper. Turn the heat to high and bring it all to a boil and then reduce it back down to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Scoop into your favorite bowl and top with 1/3 cup of the rice. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrients per 1/6th of recipe: Calories: 368; Total Fat: 11.9g; Saturated Fat: 4.8g; Cholesterol: 66mg; Carbohydrate: 38.9g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 6.7g; Protein: 25.4g