Scroll down to watch the video!
I just adore putting a seasonal spin on a classic dish, especially when that season is Summer.
These days you can get just about any fruit during any season, so while we don’t really have to wait all year long to enjoy fresh berries we do need to wait all year long to enjoy fresh local berries that actually taste like sweet, berry, deliciousness (you know those berries that you buy in the dead of winter just don’t deliver the same flavor).
This recipe uses a classic tabouli base, but instead of using tomatoes, I swapped in some fresh, juicy strawberries. The result? A salad that explodes with flavor and screams summer!
Often times I will swap out bulgur wheat for quinoa when I am making Tabouli, like I did in this recipe, simply because it’s a little bit lighter and 100% gluten free, but for this recipe I wanted to use the bulgur to give you guys more examples of how you can use bulgur wheat in your kitchen. Bulgur wheat is one of the quickest cooking whole grains, so I find it to be a friendly addition for those times when life feels like is moving at lighting speed (plus its delicious!). If however, gluten is an issue for you, simply swap in the quinoa.
To learn more about bulgur wheat, you can watch my Bulgur Wheat 101.
A couple more Clean & Delicious Tabouli recipes:
You can watch this video for the step-by-step demonstration on how to make this recipe plus some extra tips and ideas:
Strawberry Tabouli Salad
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Fat pinch salt and black pepper
- 1.5 cup diced strawberries
- 1.5 cups Persian cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely diced mint
- 1/2 cup diced scallions
- Place bulgur wheat in a small bowl and cover with 1 cup of boiling water. Pop on a lid (or some type of cover) and let sit for 20 minutes, or until the bulgur has absorbed the water and is plumped up and tender.
- In the meantime, whisk together, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine; cooked bulgur wheat, cucumbers, strawberries, parsley, mint, and scallions. Top with the dressing and gently toss together.
- Serve and enjoy!