As much as I would love to post a recipe that would hit the spot on a crisp Autumn day, it just ain’t happenin’. “Why?”, you ask. Simply because I’ve yet to have a crisp Autumn day. Here in SoCal. we’re still warm… not hot… but definitely warm. We’re talking mid-seventies.
So, when I heard that my brother-in- law and his girlfriend were coming over to watch the World Series this past Sunday, a big pot of chili wasn’t really an option.
I wanted to make something that was light and easy, but would not have me stuck in the kitchen for the whole game… that’s when I remembered this recipe that I saw over at Kirsten’s Home Cooking — Shrimp Tacos! I bookmarked them as soon as I saw them last week and this was the perfect time to try them.
Let me tell you guys, these are so good and so easy. I was suddenly feeling A-OKAY about our anti-fall weather. Who needs chili when you can have Super Simple Shrimp Tacos!
I pretty much stuck to Kirsten’s recipe, except I swapped the sour cream for some fat free greek style yogurt and I doubled the recipe. It’s a keeper!
Oh yeah, I also served them with some fresh guac too… it was the perfect game side meal and great for Cinco De Mayo too).
Super Simple Shrimp Tacos
- 1 lb of frozen shrimp defrosted, peeled, & deveined
- 6 oz fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 a head of cabbage thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat tortillas over medium heat in a dry skillet until warm and starting to form small brown spots. Set aside on a plate covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Mix yogurt, cayenne, lime juice, cilantro, & salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet and add cabbage. Cook for about four minutes or until the cabbage is just barely wilted. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut shrimp into thirds, so you have little bite size pieces. Saut in two teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper over medium heat just until done. They cook up in just a few minutes so be sure to watch them!
- Build your taco! Place a scoop of cabbage on the warmed tortillas taco, then top with shrimp, and cilantro sauce enjoy!
- Serves 4.