Scroll down to watch the step-by-step video.
Oh, how I love a good salad.
Especially as the weather gets colder and I have to begin an internal, ongoing conversation with myself about why drinking hot chocolate and eating scones on a daily basis will not make the winter pass any faster!
But, no matter how you cut it, the colder weather definitely leaves me craving more comfort food. And while I do understand that salad is not typically considered comfort food; you may be surprised to see how comforting it can be when you use a hearty green as your base (in this case kale + brussels sprouts) and then sprinkle in some cheese and bacon.
I mean, doesn’t cheese and bacon automatically equal comfort? Even when it’s sprinkled onto a bed of nutrient rich greens, it does a fantastic job at be delicious and comforting.
So, walk with me for a minute, will you?
Imagine, finely shredded kale and brussels sprouts dressed with a clean and bright, lemon and garlic vinaigrette and then tossed with creamy + nutty pecorino, salty + crunchy bacon, AND buttery toasted pecans.
YES! That’s what’s happening here.
And it’s so easy.
This is one of those salads you can make on a Tuesday night and blow your family’s mind OR bring it along to a holiday or dinner party if you want to impress your friends and family.
I’m telling you, this delicious and comforting salad combination is a true, ‘show-stopper’.
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon and Pecorino
- 4 cups thinly sliced kale
- 4 cups brussels sprouts thinly sliced*
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted pecan chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp. diced red onion
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine kale and brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add in the bacon, pecans, and Pecorino cheese.
- In a spouted glass cup or a mason jar, combine garlic, onion, mustard, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk together until everything is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the top of the salad and gently toss everything together. Serve and enjoy!