There’s nothing like homemade chicken noodle soup, but sometimes, when time is not on your side, using some store bought broth and a rotisserie chicken is a great way to get that homemade flavor in a lot less time.
This recipe is very similar to my Classic Chicken Noodle Soup (which is also a shortcut recipe) but in this version I am using whole grain noodles instead of pasta.
You can watch the step by step version in the video below (this soup recipe starts at 4:15). I also share my Lentil Kale + Noodle Bowl and a Veggie Packed Noodle Salad as well.
Short Cut Chicken Noodle Soup (with Whole Grain Noodles)
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 celery ribs halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock 4 cups
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked No Yolk Whole Grain Noodles
- Place a medium pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and thyme and allow to cook for about 6 minutes or until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring everything to a boil. Reduce down to a simmer, add in chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through.
- Add 1 cup cooked NO YOLKS Whole Grain Noodles to the bottom of your bowl and top with the soup. Finish with some fresh chopped parsley and enjoy.