You may remember that I was feeling excited about the fact that this icing has no refined sugar and no butter and is simply made from cocoa powder, honey, coconut oil and vanilla.
But I don’t want to be misleading, I think it’s important to remember that while this recipe for chocolate icing may have a more nutritious cast of ingredients, it’s still chocolate icing. And chocolate icing in any form is an indulgence that should be enjoyed in moderation.
My goal with a recipe like this is not to reduce the calories or make it “fat-free”. It’s simply to try to get an equally delicious, more nutritious, bang for my buck (because in my book, even the little things count).
As for choosing the honey and the coconut oil here’s my thought process:
1. Honey – While honey is still technically sugar, it does not affect blood sugar levels the way most sugars do and it does contain some trace amount of minerals. So my train of thought is, “hey, if you’re gonna use some sugar, why not use one that is gentler on the body and has a little something to give back”.
2. Coconut Oil – Known as the low fat-fat, coconut oil contains just 7 calories per gram where most other fats contain 9. Plus it’s known to increase the healthy cholesterol and lower the unhealthy cholesterol in our blood which helps to support heart health and boost immunity.
I think ultimately the take away here is that icing is icing and cake is cake, and no matter how healthy the ingredient list may be, it’s never gonna be a bowl of broccoli!
Now that I’ve got that out of the way, let’s discuss the icing!
This is some no-joke-seriously chocolate icing, so you better make sure that you LOVE chocolate before you whip up this recipe;).
Other than the fact that it is one intense chocolate icing that offers a little more nutritional bang for it’s buck, it’s also happens to be ridiculously easy to make.
All you have to do is combine all the ingredients and stir.
No beating. No blending. No whipping.
Very easy. Super kid-friendly. And seriously delicious. Need I say more?
Agave-Sweetened Chocolate Icing
Yield: 2 cups
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:0 minutes
Total Time:15 minutes
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of grape seed oil
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine grape seed oil, agave, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Sift cocoa powder into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix together with a fork or whisk until the icing has thickened and everything is well blended.
- You can pop the icing in the fridge until you are ready to use.