This Romaine Lettuce Salad is a simple, yet tasty blend of romaine lettuce and herbs, all tossed in a homemade lemon vinaigrette. A light and refreshing salad that’s the perfect side dish to chicken, fish or beef.
This tasty salad goes with almost any meal from turkey spinach meatballs to salmon burgers! I serve a version of this salad as part of our dinner most nights, and it has definitely become a family favorite. It’s loaded with crisp romaine lettuce, fresh dill and mint, and scallions, then finished off with a light lemon vinaigrette. We can’t get enough of it!
Ingredients needed to make this romaine salad:
Like most salad recipes, this romaine salad is completely customizable with whatever ingredients you love best. Go ahead and get creative and make this recipe your own! Below are the ingredients my family enjoys most in this salad.
- Romaine lettuce – Pre-chopped bags of romaine hearts can be used to save time, but if time allows freshly chopped tastes best.
- Fresh herbs – This recipe calls for fresh dill and mint, which is a really delicious combination.
- Scallions – A mild onion that works so well in this light, bright salad.
- Lemon vinaigrette – The star of the salad! This vinaigrette is an easy mix of garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and salt & pepper. We actually love this homemade dressing on all kinds of salads!
How to make a fresh romaine salad with herbs:
This healthy romaine salad starts with romaine lettuce, which is mixed with fresh chopped dill, mint and scallions. A simple lemon dressing is whisked together and poured over the top, and the salad ingredients are all tossed together. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Customize this easy romaine salad:
I love to serve this salad as-is for a light and refreshing side dish, but sometimes I add other ingredients to change the flavors and/or make it more of a main course offering. Here’s some ideas:
- Add in extra veggies you have on-hand like tomatoes, different colored peppers, crisp cucumbers or even finely chopped broccoli.
- Top the salad with a sprinkle of feta, parmesan or goat cheese for additional creamy, salty or tangy goodness.
- Toss in other tasty ingredients! This salad is the perfect way to use up a variety of different ingredients. Try adding chickpeas, black beans, tofu, olives, bacon, croutons… the options are endless!
- Make it a main dish by adding protein like grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon.
How to store this romaine lettuce salad:
This healthy romaine lettuce salad is best enjoyed immediately, but it will keep well covered in the fridge for about 1-2 days. If you can store the dressing and salad separately that would be best.
Once you try this romaine salad, you’ll find it on your permanent rotation. The lovely, refreshing flavors are the perfect counterpart to a variety of dishes.
More easy salad recipes:
If you make this romaine salad recipe, be sure to leave a comment and ★ rating below letting me know how it turned out. Your feedback is so helpful for me and our Clean & Delicious community (thank you!).
Romaine Lettuce Salad With Mint And Dill
- 2 hearts of romaine thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mint
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the romaine, dill, mint, and scallions.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and honey. Season dressing with salt and pepper (remember this is going to season the entire salad so dont be stingy!).
- Add dressing to the greens and toss everything together. Enjoy!