Scroll down to watch the video!
It’s official. We no longer live in California.
There is snow on the ground, it’s been crazy cold, and I haven’t done my hair or make up in days (who can bother when it’s so damn cold?).
But make no mistake, I’m not complaining.
I love the change of seasons. And I love how the cold weather brings everyone together for big family dinners and warm nourishing meals.
There is very little that I enjoy more than making amazing food for a small group (I don’t feel the same when it comes to big groups!) of friends and family. Great food, great wine, and whether it’s spoken or not, lots of love.
I love how food does that.
It gathers us. It’s sits us down and helps us forget the crazy, if even for a moment. It reminds of what’s really important. It reminds us to love.
This red lentil stew is perfect for a warm family dinner. Serve it with a hunk of high quality, beautiful, homemade sourdough bread and a simple salad of arugula and onions and you’ve got yourself a Sunday meal to swoon over.
*To learn more about lentils, check out my lentils 101.
Red Lentil Stew
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 serrano chili diced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 8 cups water start with 6 cups and add more if needed
- 2 cups chopped sweet root veggies i.e. Rutabaga, parsnip or turnip
- The juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add in garlic and onions and pepper. Saut for a few minutes or until the veggies are tender and smelling delish.
- Stir in lentils and water, turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, skim off any foam that collects in the pot, with a spoon. Turn the heat down and stir in root veggies and cumin.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The more you stir, the creamier it will be.
- Finish by adding the lemon juice and fresh cilantro. Serve and top with chopped scallions. Enjoy.
- Makes 4 cups.