Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. It also happens to be very easy to make.
If you haven’t tried quinoa yet (pronounced keen-wa) you are really missing out. It’s light, fluffy and very delicious.
I use quinoa a lot in the kitchen. Mostly because of all the grains, quinoa cooks up the fastest (and yes! that’s because quinoa is a seed and not a grain but you wouldn’t know the difference once it’s cooked up).
If you’re trying to find realistic ways to incorporate more nutritious ingredients into your kitchen, quinoa might just be your new best friend.
HERE ARE SOME GOOD THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT QUINOA:
- It cooks up quickly (unlike most grains)
- It is packed with protein (as a matter of fact it is a complete protein)
- It’s got lots of fiber
- It has a low glycemic index, so it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels
- It’s light, yet it stays with you
- It’s wheat and gluten free
- It comes in different colors like red, orange and pink
- It’s delicious
Quinoa has a very light, fluffy texture with a creamy consistency and a slightly nutty flavor. It’s really good. I often use it instead of rice or pasta, but there really are a billion things you could do with it.
SOME OF MY FAVORITE QUINOA RECIPES:
- Beet And Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Tabouli W/ Feta Cheese + Chickpeas
- Mango + Black Bean Quinoa Pita Pockets
- Quinoa Raisin Muffins
- Butternut Squash And Quinoa Frittata
Watch the video below to learn everything you need to know about quinoa so that you can start using this nutritious seed in your kitchen today.
How-To Cook Quinoa Recipe
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups cold water
- Rinse quinoa under cold water before cooking. Keep rinsing until any of the little foamy bubbles that you see are gone and water is running clear.
- Place quinoa and water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for about 12-15 minutes or until the water has absorbed. You will see that when the quinoa is done, it will be translucent and have a little white circle around it (thats the germ).
- Fluff with your fork and enjoy!